Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mixed feeding failing dismally, advice needed.

(17 Posts)
boobie Thu 28-Apr-05 16:03:12

I've been trying to get my 5 month old DD to take two bottles of formula a day instead of breast ready for my return to work in two weeks, she will now take some after much battling but only takes 3/4oz at each feed. She is weaning nicely onto solids. I'm convinced she holds out for her bf later in day and am worried now about whether to switch to formula or keep persisting . I really don't want to give up breast if poss and expressing not option. Any advice gratefully received.

mears Thu 28-Apr-05 16:10:29

boobie - your baby does not actually need formula at all for you going back to work unless you are doing 12 hour shifts and do not want to or can't express. Breastfeed her before you go and when you come back. Since she is established on solids she will not necessarily need a milk feed. You can breasfeed her more on your days off. Are you going back to work full-time? What hours will you be doing? Do you express?

mears Thu 28-Apr-05 16:11:13

Sorry - just saw expressing is not an option. Can I ask why not?

tarantula Thu 28-Apr-05 16:16:22

what kind of bottles are you using and what kind of teats? dd hated the bottle when we tried to get her onto it at 6 mnths. We ended up using latex (brown rubber) teats cos they are softer than the newer clear ones. Its worth a try if you havnt tried already.

boobie Thu 28-Apr-05 16:27:49

I teach and DD will be in Nursery from 8 til approx 5.30 5 days. No chance to express in work and know I will not have time, duties, marking etc. I use avent bottles and teats she takes milk ok at first then just pushes it away and refuses any more. I've tried a multitude of bottles teats and formulas with no difference.

mears Thu 28-Apr-05 16:38:09

Have you tried formula in a cup then? She could be offered it with her solids but if she doesn't want it that is fine. 3-4 oz is actally a fine amount with solids anyway. She will take it fine when you are not there probably. I would certainly keep B/F going - switching to formula isn't necessary.

LIZS Thu 28-Apr-05 17:00:04

dd never took more than 4ozs in a bottle, even if it was ebm. We managed to b'feed to 13 months with formula introduced for daytime feeds from about 7/8 months. If your dd can take dairy from other sources through weaning then don't stress too much, unless it is a problem if she compensates later in the day.

boobie Thu 28-Apr-05 17:01:05

She won't take a cup yet. I know it sounds daft but I thought she would need to take about 7oz, although this past week she has moved onto 3 small meals a day. I bf first 3 until weaned so bottle feeding is new to me.

boobie Thu 28-Apr-05 22:45:04

Thanks all for replies esp Mears for commonsense advice. I just trawled archives on weaning and now realise tha she is probably taking enough from bottle and breast combined as she ups her solid intake.

BouncyTigger Fri 29-Apr-05 08:36:04

I've got a similar problem - DD is 5 months and I'm back to work in 2 weeks. Expressing not an option for me either, so have been switching to bottles in the day (BF morning and night) for last 2 weeks which has been fine although she only takes 4-5oz. She's also been having a bottle before DH goes to bed for the last 2 months. Suddenly last night she refused her bottle at night got v.upset and had to bf to calm her down after trying everything. Tried to bottle feed again this morning and still refused bottle.

Anyone got any ideas, currently thinking of getting a cup, but can't understand why when she's happily had a bottle she's suddenly rejecting it.

chipmonkey Mon 02-May-05 20:58:46

Don't know Bouncytigger, am having exactly the same problem. ds3 has been having bottles from birth so should be well used to them and is now refusing them getting into a right old temper. My sister says he's just developing a mind of his own. My MIL says she thinks he's teething because he's sticking his fists in his mouth but not sure about this. His corrected age is 9 weeks and ds1 and ds2 got no teeth till 5 months. I'm stumped!!

tiktok Tue 03-May-05 10:03:44

He's not teething, chip.....babies stick their fists in their mouths for no real reason at all, it's a developmental thing.

His rejection of the bottle means he's telling you what he prefers

starlover Tue 03-May-05 10:14:09

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if you go back to work and you are still b/f then your employers are obliged to let you express. Provide time and a suitable place for you to do so.

beansmum Tue 03-May-05 10:24:24

I think you're right starlover, but if you have tons of work and marking to do and you don't get it done at school you'll just have to do it when you get home!

boobie, have you thought about expressing in the morning and evening? Your dd might be more willing to take ebm than formula and if she's only taking 8oz during the day you will probably be able to express that much. I express 2oz in the morning before breakfast, 3 oz when I get home at 5pm and 1-2oz after ds has gone to bed and that seems to work.

chipmonkey Tue 03-May-05 13:54:48

BTW if anyone cracks this could you revisit this threadand let us know!

boobie Tue 03-May-05 20:32:48

Hello all, the mixed feeding has improved loads as my DD has started to get used to it. Basically I persisted with the bottle and she now takes with little fuss, sometimes as much as six oz or as little as 3 oz for her two daytime bottles and I bf morning and night sometimes at 11pm if she wakes for it. I am so relieved as I wanted to continue bfing for as long as she wants. She gets excited about her bf too. I'm glad I did not give up, fingers crossed for first bottle at nursery tomorrow.

chipmonkey Wed 04-May-05 11:58:50

Delighted to hear its going well, boobie, good luck with nursery. Hoping I can sort ds3 out soon because I have to go back to work in July

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now