Talk

Advanced search

engorged breasts after expressing...

(8 Posts)
nanu Mon 25-Apr-05 12:11:04

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie here so apols in advance if this question has already been covered.
First child - 5wk old daught.

For the first time, I expressed bm this weekend and since then, I have noticed how engorged my breasts have become . Can anyone please advise on the following:

How do I go about bf - I think she is uncomfortable at the b & may not b latching on properly... I'm worried that she may not be getting enough.

Will my breasts settle down or will they continue to become engorged every time I express.

I have also been noticing a sharp pain in my breasts since I've been bf - should I be worried?

irishbird Mon 25-Apr-05 12:15:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiktok Mon 25-Apr-05 12:16:39

nanu - expressing is likely to have boosted your supply so you are making more than your baby wants. Result: engorged breasts. Is there any reason why you are expressing?

If your baby is thriving, and you are not sore, then she is well-positioned and getting enough

can you say more about the sharp pain - before, during or after feeding, for example?

aloha Mon 25-Apr-05 12:32:44

I sometimes have a day or two of engorged leaky breasts then it goes back to normal. I think it happens after a day or so or more feeding, perhaps for a growth spurt.

nanu Mon 25-Apr-05 12:33:44

Thanks for the quick reply irishbird & tiktok .

Sharp pain - both breasts after feeds - pain is on & off.

The reason I'm expressing is to stock up on rations. I only expressed for 10 mins on Sat & Sun morn.

She's not latching on properly because they're engorged/hard etc - how do I get around this? Do I express a little out to soften them & then feed her on the same breast or express into a bottle to & feed her from the bottle.

irishbird Mon 25-Apr-05 12:36:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiktok Mon 25-Apr-05 12:52:15

Yes, soften breasts gently with hand expressing and then put the baby on direct...no need for hassle with pumps and giving a bottle.

Not sure about the pain - doesn't sound like let down reflex. Sometimes, women with breast thrush get a sharp shooting pain, but there are other signs as well.

There's a lot we don't know about breast pain.

nanu Mon 25-Apr-05 12:56:28

Thanks folks. I thought as much but I wasnt 100% sure being new to all this bf-ing. I was just a it confused as to what to do - couldnt get hold of my HV, MW, or Clinic !. I'm just glad that I can at least rely some help & advice from mumsnetters !

Have mentioned the pains to my HV but she didnt seem too concerned - I'll bring it up at my next checkup though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: