Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Milk after 12 months for BF baby?

(6 Posts)
vicdubya Sun 24-Apr-05 20:55:46

Ds is 13 months and until last week was still having at least 2 BF in a 24 hr period, usually 3, sometimes 4!!!

He is also eating 3 square meals and two healthy snacks daily, all accompanied by water, and juice at breakfast.

Anyway this last week he has been waking later and so dropped his morning feed, and sleeping all night, so he is only having the one feed before bed now. I will probably keep going with this for as long as he wants it.

I am just worried now, should I give him a drink of milk at one of his meal / snack times? He would probably drink it, but I have never really done it, except when I was leaving him with someone, to substitute a BF.

He does eat cereal with milk, usually has a yoghurt every other day (I could increase this to every day) and has recently started to eat cheese (always refused it before). But he doesn;t like cheesy sauces much.

Is that enough? He does eat a healthy diet, meat, veggies, lots of fruit, it's just the calcium I am a bit worried about.

PrettyCandles Sun 24-Apr-05 21:03:05

Another drink of milk during the day wouldn't hurt, but on the other hand as long as he has yogurt and cheese as well as plenty of greens he may be fine. You might want to keep an approximate mental tally of what he's eating over a few days, and if he's been eating less cheese/yogurt then give him a drink of milk. IIRC greens, dried apricots, sesame seeds and tahina are all good sources of calcium.

PrettyCandles Sun 24-Apr-05 21:03:07

Another drink of milk during the day wouldn't hurt, but on the other hand as long as he has yogurt and cheese as well as plenty of greens he may be fine. You might want to keep an approximate mental tally of what he's eating over a few days, and if he's been eating less cheese/yogurt then give him a drink of milk. IIRC greens, dried apricots, sesame seeds and tahina are all good sources of calcium.

pepsi Sun 24-Apr-05 21:34:00

I was always told that they need a pints worth of milk a day or the equivalent in calcium from cheese/yoghurt etc. I breastfed both of mine until they were 13 months old, then I stopped and they had 6 ozs of cows milk in the morning and 6 at night, plus whatever they got from their food and cereal. Sounds to me like you are doing a superb job so I wouldnt worry.

vicdubya Sun 24-Apr-05 22:18:13

Oh I don;t think he would drink 6 oz Pepsi.

He doesn;t drink more than a couple ounces of water at any meal or snack time.

But then he has been having a lot of milk, up til now!

rodeo1 Mon 25-Apr-05 11:02:22

Yes, I would give the milk, but I'm a big milk drinker anyway. I think if the parents drink milk then the children do too. My friends who don't drink milk themselves, don't give their children much milk. Going off the point a bit there!

If you get organic milk, you know you'll be giving him the best. It has had a bad press of late but it is very good for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now