Talk

Advanced search

breastfed baby won't take to bottle!!

(15 Posts)
saf1 Sat 23-Apr-05 15:54:06

Any tips on how to get my 10 week old to take a bottle of expressed milk? I really would like a break just once in a while.
I had no problems with first daughter so this is new territory for me.
HELP???

Caligula Sat 23-Apr-05 16:00:17

Try and get someone else to give her the bottle, so that she can't smell you.

I'm sure there'll be loads of other tips coming up!

saf1 Sat 23-Apr-05 16:02:34

;) Yep did that already my husband tried but she just kept spitting out the teat.
Any more ideas?

chipmonkey Sat 23-Apr-05 16:45:33

Have a look at this bottle . I haven't tried it but someone on MN has and found it good.

honeybunny Sat 23-Apr-05 17:13:02

Nothing positive to add I'm afraid, my dd, now 20weeksold has refused to take any milk from a bottle, despite trying from about 14days old. She has managed an ounce from me from a bottle (once at about 10weeks) but otherwise just mouths the teat. She will absolutely have nothing to do with dh as far as feeding is concerned, only I will do apparantly.

moondog Sat 23-Apr-05 17:25:15

Try putting your finger under her chin as you feed (my mother taught me this one). Have you tried giving ebm in a cup and/or squeezing a bit into her mouth?

motherinferior Sat 23-Apr-05 18:11:29

A cheapo brown teat did the job - finally - for me. Best of luck, sweetie, been there with dd2, it was awful but DID get there in the end.

loujay Sat 23-Apr-05 18:30:17

Hi,
I sympathise as my dd was exactly the same, unfortunately for months until I found the NUK teat, try it its meant to be nipple shaped (although I would cringe if I thought mine were like this!!)
Hope all goes well

saf1 Sat 23-Apr-05 20:40:51

Thanks for all your advice. I will try the NUK teat next.
Not sure where to get it from have tried loads of others so it's worth a go. I'll have a look in Mothercare for one.
Do they fit most standard Avent bottles?
Thanks again and I'll let you all knoiw how I get on.
TTFN

chipmonkey Mon 25-Apr-05 12:00:04

Saf, Nuk teats don't fit the avent bottles, they're for narrow-necked bottles.

FLUM Mon 25-Apr-05 12:01:50

Nope, mine had thism, just wouldn't

you could take out a second mortgage and try 10 different teats, didn't work for me though.

bandbsmum Mon 25-Apr-05 12:53:35

I can sympathise totally. I had this problem with my ds, so was determined not to with my dd and starting giving her one bottle of formula a day from 5 weeks. This was going fine until she got to about 16 weeks; the day after her 3rd injection she refused to take the bottle, and is still refusing (she's now 6 months!) I've got a cupboard full of different teats, but they don't seem to make any difference! Going to try again this week, as I keep leaving it a couple of weeks between attempts. If all else fails, she drinks water from a beaker, so I'll try giving her milk out of it.

Tipex Mon 25-Apr-05 21:53:40

saf1, my DS refused point blank until DH heated up his milk to really warm, rather than luke warm and he necked it down then! He still refuses the second half of the bottle until we warm it up a bit more. Maybe worth a try?

philippat Mon 25-Apr-05 22:00:53

had a nostalgic search through the archives to find this one I posted Aug 2002....

I'm sorry to say time is really the only solution (or so we found!). It does get better, I promise (I remember when we were incredibly happy if dd took 1oz from bottle), but to be honest I found dd was never super super happy with the bottle until I totally gave up b/f (but that's no reason to give up).

Here's a few suggestions that sort of worked for us:
- variflow latex teats, orthodontic shaped (mothercare do them)
- disposable steribottles (much softer teat)
- give her a raisin to chew
- feed her the bottle outside
- water the bottle milk down (but keep aware of how much she is drinking!)
- if she likes water/juice from cup try this in bottle when she doesn't need milk feed
- if she takes water from cup, try milk from cup instead of bottle
- if you're giving formula rather than EBM, try a taste test to get one that tastes OK to you
- get into a rhythm of not b/f at certain feed so you don't get letdown which dd can smell
- put perfume on your neck so she smells this instead of you and breastmilk
- supposedly cherry shaped dummies help, but not for us!

Giving in and feeding her probably does make it worse - she can't possibly need the milk just after 6oz bottle so try going out somewhere you'd be embarrased breastfeeding so you aren't tempted.

Good luck...

spilla Thu 07-Jul-05 09:34:30

Have you tried the Tommy Tippee NUBY slow flow its the only one my dd will have un her mouth - now can't find a formula she likes!!!!!!!!!!1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now