Talk

Advanced search

IS THIS NORMAL?

(8 Posts)
MollyMooMin Sat 23-Apr-05 14:43:53

My DD is 16 weeks old and for a couple of months now has been on sma white, 7-8oz every 6 hours. The only thing is, she never cries for her feed, I just feed her 6 hourly because I don't think she should be going longer between feeds at her age. I really don't know how long she would go if I left her. This means she's only having 24oz every day, so I'm trying to feed her now every 4 hours but still the same amount. Also, how will I know when she is ready for weaning if she never cries for more food? SORRY! Can you tell I'm a first time mum?

MollyMooMin Sat 23-Apr-05 14:43:53

My DD is 16 weeks old and for a couple of months now has been on sma white, 7-8oz every 6 hours. The only thing is, she never cries for her feed, I just feed her 6 hourly because I don't think she should be going longer between feeds at her age. I really don't know how long she would go if I left her. This means she's only having 24oz every day, so I'm trying to feed her now every 4 hours but still the same amount. Also, how will I know when she is ready for weaning if she never cries for more food? SORRY! Can you tell I'm a first time mum?

colditz Sat 23-Apr-05 15:05:54

I would take her off the SMA white if I were you, and put her back on the gold. The SMA white has a different form of protien in, and is more difficult to digest, leaving baby feeling fuller for longer. At a guess she will cry for food eventually, but my midwife told me that babies digest milk at a rate of about 1oz per hour. With the white formule, she may be going even longer because she can't digest it. If she is growing she is getting enough.

colditz Sat 23-Apr-05 15:06:59

And don't worry about being a first time mum, because I was a complete incompetant!

compo Sat 23-Apr-05 15:08:06

I agree with Colditz. It thought sma white was for hungrier babies and if your dd isn't crying for food I wouldn't put her that category

MollyMooMin Sat 23-Apr-05 18:14:40

Thanks you two. We only put her up to the white because she was draining her 7oz bottles of sma gold, and rather than give her a larger quantity, we went for the more satisfying option- white. It won't disrupt her too much will it, obviously with weaning to come soon?.....
I should walk around with L- plates on shouldn't I ??

Twiglett Sat 23-Apr-05 18:19:33

out of interest the weaning process at the beginning is not about hunger but more about getting the baby used to accepting food from a spoon and the different textures and flavours so do not worry about her not crying for food, she will still in the early stages get her nutrition from the milk

the advice nowadays is to wait till 26 week for weaning so you also have plenty of time (you may want to look at a weaning book - annabel karmel's book has tables advising first timers of when and how to do it which I found most helpful with first child)

I would agree with putting her on the standard formula, if she's draining the 7 oz then just up the amount

HTH

MollyMooMin Sat 23-Apr-05 18:24:19

Thanks twiglett! Will try and get her book tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now