Talk

Advanced search

eek is this normal?

(15 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Wed 20-Apr-05 21:40:09

we gave up breastefeeding yesterday - from about an hour every morning and 10 mins at night (sometimes 10 mins in the afternoon too) to nothing. tried to wean gradually but ds not having it.

Today i have footballs on my chest - decided to express a little (to releieve the pressure and also to have some ebm to mix with normal milk to try to trick ds into drinking it) - pushed hard bit on the side of my boob and it squirted for about 4 minutes non stop (just with the pressure, no pumping).

am I in danger of mastitis? what shall i do?

Libb Wed 20-Apr-05 21:44:41

Its been a while since I bf but it sounds like you massaged a resevoir (excuse spelling) - a big one. I always understood that if you were relieving the pressure then you stood less chance of causing problems. I could be wrong though so hopefully a proper expert might help instead!

(if I do get to Cambridge then you are more than welcome to come punting )

maidsmum Wed 20-Apr-05 21:45:21

If you keep expressing it, you will keep producing. Try using alternate hot and cold face cloths to reduce the pressure, or a nice warm bath. It should go away itself. If it keeps up then maybe see your doc?

Mum2girls Wed 20-Apr-05 21:45:36

No, I could do squirt for england on a regular basis. First time, absolutely drenched poor DD2 as she vainly attempted to latch on!

motherinferior Wed 20-Apr-05 21:46:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Dophus Wed 20-Apr-05 21:47:03

When mine are engorged they can squirt for Britain!

In fat DS1 barely need suckle - it just squirts in his mouth!

motherinferior Wed 20-Apr-05 21:48:19

I remember reading on MN, from someone like Tiktok, that expressing a bit wasn't actually going to mean massive overproduction.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 20-Apr-05 21:48:59

the thing is, the lumpy bit is in the same place where I did have a blocked duct ages ago. Last time i used ds as a duct unblocker.

I will keep up the expressing small amounts - my body can pretend i'm dropping one feed at a time or something.

motherinferior Wed 20-Apr-05 21:49:05

(both my babies used to get on, pull away in horror as they got soaked, and I'd watch milk jetting across the room. Nice. Especially at my parents'.)

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 22:01:09

lie in a hot bath

try not to express

chilled savoy cabbage leaves down your bra

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 22:01:53

you really are a foodie aren't you

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 22:03:15

not telling you where I'm putting the yogurt at the mo Jools

JoolsToo Wed 20-Apr-05 22:04:00

SenoraPostrophe Thu 21-Apr-05 18:06:12

just thought I'd pop in to say "ooooowwwwwwww"

will red cabbage do?

SenoraPostrophe Fri 22-Apr-05 12:09:55

how long does it last again?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: