Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why is my baby fussing at the breast?

(10 Posts)
bunjies Sun 17-Apr-05 09:23:55

I wonder if anyone can help me. My 9 week dd2 has become really fussy while bf. She is constantly twitching/jerking, throwing her head around or arching her back. It doesn't help that she has been snotty since day one and seems to have difficulty breathing. However, she hasn't always been fussy. This is a more recent phenomenon. She is mostly bf with one bottle of formula at 7pm. She then usually has a bf at 4am, 7/7.30am, 9.30/10am, 2/2.30pm and a couple of shorter feeds between 4 & 6pm. I could understand if she was only fussy at the 4am feed as my breasts are quite full then and the let down is quite strong so the milk squirts out but why is she is fussy at the other feeds as well? Even after she has been winded (and she's quite good at burps) she is still unsettled. She's also quite possetty so I don't know whether this is significant. Apparently she is like this when she has her bottle as well (according to dp). So what's going on? The trouble is when she does all her thrashing about she ends up losing her position on the breast and the latch becomes painful. So I end up with sore nipples. She is putting on weight ok so it isn't affecting her in that way but it is making bf an unsatisfactory experience.

edam Sun 17-Apr-05 10:44:13

Bunjies, I can't remember what it was like at 9 weeks, but my ds went through periods of fussing while bf too (and was always a possetty as well). No advice but it may well get better of its own accord, I hope. Not a very helpful post but didn't want to leave you unanswered as I know how worrying it can be.

edam Sun 17-Apr-05 10:44:54

PS have you tried using Infacol? You get it from your pharmacist and it seemed to help ds.

aloha Sun 17-Apr-05 11:09:51

Are you feeding her on demand or by the clock? I just wondered as maybe she isn't that hungry? Or maybe she only wants short feeds? Or just maybe it's a phase!

CheekyGirl Sun 17-Apr-05 21:18:52

My ds who is now 16wks started behaving like this at around your dd's age. He's still like it, but is more relaxed when he's sleepy. Maybe your dd has reflux? These behaviours could be a sign of it. Perhaps mention it to your hv?

ronniec Sun 17-Apr-05 21:36:55

I had the same problem with my dd and took her to the doctors who suggested infacol etc, it didn't help and i was worried for a couple of months as much about feeds being such a hassle and bf in public as her health. she would never have a bottle and was putting on weight fine and eventually she calmed down and was feeding fine (still is and she's now 13 months). I found either switching sides regularly or just leaving the feed and trying later was the only thing i could do. she was also quite sicky but that also cleared up. sorry can't be more help

starlover Mon 18-Apr-05 11:50:03

bunjies... my ds (10 weeks) is exactly the same! He cries because he is hungry, but once on the boob he wants to look around and arch his back and kick his legs etc etc...
I haven't found a solution as yet, but there was another thread about this a bit ago, so I think it's quite normal!

starlover Mon 18-Apr-05 11:50:49

tbh I wouldn't bother with the infacol. It is really to help bring wind up, but you have said that she is good at her burps, so it doesn't sound like that is the problem

SPARKLER1 Mon 18-Apr-05 11:51:06

I think there was a similar thread to this one just a couple of weeks ago. Have a search. HTH.

bunjies Mon 18-Apr-05 14:43:40

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm just going to have to bear it for a while doesn't it. I really want to continue bf as this will be my last child (no 3) and I don't want to miss out on anything (had to give up at 6 months with dd1 to go back to work) but this is really getting me down. The only feed I would say is scheduled as opposed to demand-led is the 9.30/10am one as I try to get her to have a sleep before I go and collect dd1 from nursery. Other than that all the others are instigated by her. I do give her both breasts each time as she will take it but she always seems so uncomfortable during the feed. I think I will try and have a chat with the hv about it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now