Talk

Advanced search

Is this just another urban myth about breast feeding?

(13 Posts)
KristinaM Sat 16-Apr-05 18:39:25

Is it just an urban myth that lots of women breast feed during pregnancy? Because i started another thread about it

here

and got two replies? Which were very helpful and thanks to both of you [grovel emoticon]...but I can't believe I am one of only 3 MNers who have BF when preg??? Please??????

Clayhead Sat 16-Apr-05 18:42:05

Well, I would have but dd just stopped when I was a few weeks pregnant (she was 12 months then), she just didn't want to know anymore. I do know of people who have though.

franch Sat 16-Apr-05 18:42:41

I couldn't get my periods to restart while bf so had to stop in order to conceive baby #2 - so bf while pg an impossibility for me!

KristinaM Sat 16-Apr-05 18:43:55

clayhead - did she just stop suddenly or was she feeding less for a while? I think the taste of the milk can change and dont know how this will affect DS

KristinaM Sat 16-Apr-05 18:46:03

I know franch - this pregnancy was a surprise - I thought that Bf, using condoms and being geriatric would probably prevent conception....

KristinaM Sat 16-Apr-05 18:47:09

Oh and I should add that we never Bd as we dont have time / are too exhausted

Clayhead Sat 16-Apr-05 18:54:24

She was only having one feed a day at that point and she just stopped, she went from being enthusiatic to not being interested at all.

yoyo Sat 16-Apr-05 19:03:13

I fed DD1 for the first 3 months of my pregnancy with DD2. She was 2 years old by then so gave it up gradually herself.

I had a friend who fed her son (aged 2) right through her second pregnancy and then tandem fed both when her DD was born.

emkana Sat 16-Apr-05 19:17:06

Here! I breastfed dd1 all through my pregnancy with dd2, and then tandem fed for about six weeks. Am now still breastfeeding dd2 who is 20 months and want to get pregnant again this year, so I might end up pregnant and b/feeding again, depending on dd2.

As I pointed out on another thread yesterday, I am the original earth mother and have now been pregnant and/or b/feeding continuously for four years and eight months. Un - be - lie - va - ble to myself when I see it written down!

KristinaM Sat 16-Apr-05 20:36:55

Ok Emkana - give me all your words of wisdom!! Did you find you were really really tired ( or is it just me??). Did the pregnancy affect your milk supply? How did you cope with Bf when hugely pregnant? Did you stop feeding older child for the first week after birth of new baby? Did you have a problem of over supply? And what I really want to know is....how does the body supply the correct ( amount, type) milk to an 18 month old toddler and a new baby at the same time????

emkana Sat 16-Apr-05 20:59:27

Did you find you were really really tired ( or is it just me??). Yes, I was incredibly tired, always blamed in more on the pregnancy than on the b/feeding though.
Did the pregnancy affect your milk supply? I don't know if the milk supply was affected - dd1 didn't seem to have any complaints anyway. She was 17 months when I got pregnant, so even if the milk supply went down maybe it didn't bother her too much, just ate more?
How did you cope with Bf when hugely pregnant? It was fine, dd1 was always very acrobatic while feeding anyway, , often she would feed while sitting next to me on the sofa, or even standing in front of the sofa.
Did you stop feeding older child for the first week after birth of new baby?
Noooooo! Why should I? I went into hospital to be induced in the morning and stayed there for about 30 hours. I'm not exactly sure when dd1 first fed after I had dd2, but it was no more than 24 hours after the birth. I had one on each breast Did you have a problem of over supply?
Not at all! On the contrary, the older child still feeding makes things easier in a way - the milk coming in wasn't half as painful as first time round. Also dd2 never lost weight like most babies do after the birth. The midwife said this was because dd1 helped with bringing the milk in and the supply was good from the start.
And what I really want to know is....how does the body supply the correct ( amount, type) milk to an 18 month old toddler and a new baby at the same time???? As I understand it the milk production is guided by the younger child, so your body will produce colostrum after the birth - the older child just makes do with that, my dd1 did anyway! The milk came in quicker for me than with dd1, though. But it's not a problem to support both children!

I know that a worry is often if the older child will be particularly jealous to have to "share" the breast with the new baby. But I believe, and have heard from others, that the opposite is often true: Tandem feeding can ease jealousy, especially if you "endure" having both children feeding at the same time sometimes - for me it was enduring it, because I would rather have had only dd2 at the breast sometimes, but I think dd1 felt greatly soothed by the fact that both she and dd2 were both "allowed", and when dd2 was six weeks old she lost interest in feeding and sort of "handed the breasts over", never looking back! And dd1 has only ever been loving and wonderful with dd2, no jealousy whatsoever.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask me more questions!

KristinaM Sat 16-Apr-05 21:16:18

I guees I assumed that Ds woudl just stop but he doesn't seem to have any plans to ( he was only 9 months when i got preg). I suspect most of his desire to Bf is for teh whole experiennce rather than just the milk IYSWIM. I am not woried from a nutrition point of view as he takes plenty solids and milk from and water from bottles or cups.

More from an emotional point of view - how he will feel, reaction to the new baby feeding etc.So what you say about your daughter is very helpful

I thought you had to stop feeding after the birth so the new baby got the colostrum? Is this rubbish? Also dont understand your comment about the milk "coming in" ? Surely it hasnt gone?

....... Also dd2 never lost weight like most babies do after the birth. The midwife said this was because dd1 helped with bringing the milk in and the supply was good from the start.

that is very reassuring because Ds lost weight and was slow to gain and I got a lot of pressure and blame coz I was BF

I know that a worry is often if the older child will be particularly jealous to have to "share" the breast with the new baby. But I believe, and have heard from others, that the opposite is often true: Tandem feeding can ease jealousy,....

Did your toddler not try to push the baby away? When I am Bf now my 5yo DD comes up for a cuddle and Ds pushes her away!

......! And dd1 has only ever been loving and wonderful with dd2, no jealousy whatsoever.....

That would be wonderful

emkana Sat 16-Apr-05 21:24:41

No you don't have to stop feeding the older child at all. Your body will produce colostrum for the newborn, and the older child can "make do" with that. It's actually good for them (just like first time round they had it)! I meant the milk "coming in" as in: changing from colostrum to "proper" breastmilk. The milk never goes, but changes to colostrum and then back to "normal" breastmilk, and with that my breasts did get slightly engorged, but not as bad as first time round.

No, dd1 never tried to push dd2 away, not at all. She sometimes held dd2's hands while feeding... (sentimental emoticon here!)

I must add that it's not always easy, due to hormones or whatever the b/feeding during pregnancy really got on my nerves sometimes, it wasn't always blissful! And when I had dd2 I was very pleased that dd1 decided to stop soon so that I could concentrate on dd2. But I'm glad that I did it the way I did, I'm glad that dd1 had the chance to stop in her own good time, and as I say, I believe it has led to a special bond between dd1 and dd2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now