Talk

Advanced search

watery sick after feeds....

(5 Posts)
starlover Fri 15-Apr-05 18:28:37

In the last few days DS has started being quite sick after his feeds.
He is 9 weeks old, and breastfed.
This afternoon he had a feed and a rest, then a nappy change, and then lay on his playmat where he projectile vomited loads of very watery liquid all over his tummy!
And that's the weird thing. I don't know why it's so watery. He has just done the same thing after his feed he just had. He finished, and was just laying on my lap when it all came gushing out of his mouth.
He was a bit grizzly beforehand, but started smiling afterwards... so I don't know if it had been bothering him....

He has been sick after feeds before, but it is usually very milky... what he has just drunk.
But as I say, the last few days it has been very very watery.. almost clear sometimes. and quite a lot of it.

any suggestions as to what this could be?
I have been vegetarian for about 10 years, but recently started eating meat again... could it be related to that???

mummytosteven Fri 15-Apr-05 18:33:00

DS (bottlefed) was like this a lot during the first four/five months - i think the vomit tends to be watery when it's a while after a feed. sounds like he might have overfed a little, and brough up excess milk with the wind? i'ld say just try and put him on his tummy every day for a short time, to help encourage his tummy muscles to be a bit stronger.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 15-Apr-05 18:37:29

My DS2 is pukey, and sometimes it's waterey, sometimes it's chunky, sometimes it's milk. It varies with how long after a feed. I only really get bothered if it's a full feed (which looks like a lake of milk), and even then, it's only really a problem if it happens a few times in a row. If he's throwing up all of every feed, for even part of a day, you need to talk to a doctor.

Actually, it's gotten much better over the last few months, he's nearly 7 months now, and rarely has a significant puke.

At any rate, it might be a bug, it will almost certainly pass. I doubt it's the change in your diet, but who knows?

starlover Fri 15-Apr-05 19:11:19

but it isn't a long time after a feed. it's straight away sometimes.. which is what seems odd

bakedpotato Fri 15-Apr-05 19:27:26

starlover, DS also spits up watery liquid after some breastfeeds. I suspect/hope it's when he's overeaten: there is sometimes a bit of grouchiness before he spits up and apparent relief after it, as with your son.
IFAIK milk varies in thickness/thinness depending on whether it's fore or hindmilk. Maybe the foremilk gets spat up bcs it's more squirtable IYKWIM. but this is a madeup theory and should not be taken too seriously
if he's happy, i wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: