Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding from a cup - advice please!!!

(9 Posts)
littlestar Thu 14-Apr-05 19:46:28

I've reluctantly decided to express from my right breast for a few days as my nipple is so sore and cracked that I can't bear to feed from it until it's healed.

I just fed my 2-week-old ds from my "good" breast then tried to feed him expressed milk from a cup (I don't want to use a bottle). He hated it, screamed the place down and still seems hungry - he's crying, shoving all his fingers in his mouth, and refuses to settle. Normally when he's been fed he falls asleep straight away.

I am at my wits' end - can anyone help (or at least reassure me that this is normal)?

pixiefish Thu 14-Apr-05 20:19:06

try a spoon

pixiefish Thu 14-Apr-05 20:22:29

sorry- should have added to get some cream for nipples- kamillosan is good (or lansinoh). Does the pain not pass after a few second? I found that it did and it was just the initial latching on that hurt with the blisters. try to contact a bfing counsellor to check the latch as well. if you're blistering he's not latchedf on properly

nailpolish Thu 14-Apr-05 20:32:07

ask your mw for a little spoon with a spout. my mw gave me one with a long handle, for feeding when both my nipples were cracked.

same as pixiefish, i had about 20 secs excrutiating pain then it went away

i also found it easier feeding lying down

on a different side of things, maybe your baby has a sore mouth, if he is shoving his fingers in it? have you had a look for signs of thrush? just a shot in the dark maybe

hope a good bf person comes along to help you xxx

littlestar Thu 14-Apr-05 22:28:14

Thank you. Unfortunately the pain doesn't pass after a few seconds any more (it used to) as my nipple is so sore and blistered.

I've seen a BF counsellor who was really helpful, but I definitely need to go back to her until we get the hang of latching on on the right side (the left side is fine so I know we can do it). There seems to be such a subtle difference between getting it right and being in toe-curling agony, it's really frustrating!

I'm treating the sore nipple with lansinoh cream and jelonet, hopefully they will do the trick.

I wondered about thrush but I can't see anything white in his mouth. He was practically born with his fingers in his mouth, he just seems to be a very 'rooty' baby.

Using a spoon sounds like a good idea, hopefully that will help.

littlestar Fri 15-Apr-05 11:00:26

Thanks - the spoon worked much better (although it's definitely a 2-person job!)

pixiefish Fri 15-Apr-05 18:30:05

Make sure that you keep your nipple moist (with cream/milk) as it'll heal much quicker for you. Also make sure your nipple is fully in his mouth. Feel the soft palate of your mouth (take your tongue up over the top of your mouth- can you feel a soft part of the top of your mouth)- well that's the bit of your baby's mouth that should be touching your nipple- if baby's tongue traps your nipple between his hard pallet and his tongue that's when you get pinching and blisters. Also his chin should be touching your breast and moving it. Make sure you take baby to breast and not breast to baby

pixiefish Fri 15-Apr-05 18:30:17

Make sure that you keep your nipple moist (with cream/milk) as it'll heal much quicker for you. Also make sure your nipple is fully in his mouth. Feel the soft palate of your mouth (take your tongue up over the top of your mouth- can you feel a soft part of the top of your mouth)- well that's the bit of your baby's mouth that should be touching your nipple- if baby's tongue traps your nipple between his hard pallet and his tongue that's when you get pinching and blisters. Also his chin should be touching your breast and moving it. Make sure you take baby to breast and not breast to baby

littlestar Sat 16-Apr-05 11:11:17

Thanks Pixiefish x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now