Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do I go about weaning 12 month old off bf?

(5 Posts)
deaconblue Wed 25-Feb-09 20:36:51

DD is 10 months and I plan to gradually give up bf when she turns 1, finishing altogether when she's about 14 months. At the moment she feeds on waking up (one side), then again at 10ish (other side) and at bedtime (both sides). I give her a cup of cow's milk in the afternoon which she mostly spits and blows bubbles in.
So I was thinking about ditching the 10am feed and trying to persuade her to have both sides when she wakes up. Do I then give up bedtime feed or morning feed first?
I suspect she will drink very little cow's milk once I give up but am hoping that her diet is varied enough for this not to be too much of an issue.

HenriettaJones Wed 25-Feb-09 22:39:40

Hi, DS is now 4 so it is hard to remember in detail! But I know that he had his last bf at about 13 months old. I can't remember what we were doing at 10 months, but I do know that that was around the time I noticed the supply waning, and obviously by then solids play a much bigger role as you say.

I left the bedtime feed until last, from 12 months (probably earlier) this was definitely the only feed. I didn't give cows milk though, we were always told not until 1 year, has that changed now?

After his last ever bf, I started on a warmed bottle of cows milk, and I used this every evening for a month. But I didn't want to get in to the habit of a bottle with teat, so after a month of bottle, I started giving warmed milk in a beaker at bedtime, and that transition was fairly smooth (the biggest objection was from breast to bottle!)

Warmed cows milk is much sweeter for them than cold, and hot chocolate is delicious too! But I know many mums don't like the idea of that.

Eventually (I'm not sure when!) I started giving a drink of cows milk or hot choc in the day, and only water in the beaker at night. Although this evening he had Hot Choc before bed!

deaconblue Thu 26-Feb-09 21:22:43

thanks for help. Cow's milk is ok as long as it's not their main drink/food, so I figure she's fine with one lot a day. Don't plan to do bottles at all as she's happy with her nuby cup for water. Ds still has a cup of milk on waking and before bed (2.10) so am hoping she will do the same.

Mummyfor3 Thu 26-Feb-09 21:33:20

DS3 is now 11 months old and is BF when with me and gets FF from childminder 3 days/wk. He does not drink a lot of anything else, mainly spits into beakers etc and blows bubbles, LOL!!

Having really not liked BFing in the first 6 months, I know do not really know how to stop shock: it does seem to be the easiest thing in the world to give him 2 minutes worth of boobie grin in the middle of the night if he does wake to make sure he reliably goes down again.

He feeds on wakening (reluctant feed, rearing to go and finds feed a bit of a nuiscance), mid morning before nap, mid afternoon before nap, and before bed time.

We are going on holiday with 3 other families just after his 1st birthday and I think I will continue to BF until after that.
I will cross that bridge when I come to it... althoug I cannot wait to wear decent bras again and just generally have my body back, saggy as it is wink

deaconblue Thu 26-Feb-09 21:46:34

my motivation is going to see Take That in July and a weekend away with dh and no kids in August. I plan to carry on until after our holiday in France in June so that I don't have to worry about the availability of fresh milk and then finish before 1st July. She only takes 5 mins to feed so is so low maintenance but I do want my boobs back at some point soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now