Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fellow Co-Sleepers - do you burp your baby after nighttime feeds?

(17 Posts)
ilovemuffins Mon 23-Feb-09 20:38:50

I usually just let DS drift back to sleep without burping. Seems the most natural thing to do - unless of course he suddenly wakes with a monster appetite and has a very long feeding session. But for your average five minute sleepy suckle, surely it's ok just to carry on sleeping after (or during) the feed?? Provided of course your little one doesn't usually suffer from trapped air?

FrannyandZooey Mon 23-Feb-09 20:40:10

it's fine not to
the idea is that you both doze through the feeds - defeats object if you wake up to wind them

homicidalmatriach Mon 23-Feb-09 20:40:40

Oh god yes, if the little bugger is quiet, let him rest! Ditto wet nappies/bodysuits not done up etc.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 23-Feb-09 20:40:46

I never did

Trinityrhino Mon 23-Feb-09 20:41:49

nope, never did

Grendle Mon 23-Feb-09 23:31:58

I never burped my babies.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 23-Feb-09 23:35:37

I don't - I can tell when DS needs a wind so very occassionally I do. He just drifts off normally though - no wind

SnowlightMcKenzie Mon 23-Feb-09 23:38:18

Nope. Sometimes for an occassional night or two she would be a bit more windy than normal and wriggle around uncomfortably, so I might try it then, but in general, - no.

AccidentalMum Mon 23-Feb-09 23:39:05

Half and half .... just laid them over my waist though so I didn't have to sit up blush. Mine, especially DD1, were very windy and sicky though, so I think it is unusual to wind co sleeping DCs as often as I did.

Coldtits Mon 23-Feb-09 23:59:58

I bottle fed, but to be honest after the first few weeks I was VERY lazy about burp[ing. I would sit him up briefly, jig him about a bit, and then figure if it ain't cvcoming up, it ain't coming up. And that he'd squeak if he was bothered.

He farted a lot, but didn't cry much tbh. If I'd been breast feeding I probably wouldn't have bothered at all.

ilovepinotnoir Tue 24-Feb-09 00:02:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InTheDollshouse Tue 24-Feb-09 09:04:57

AccidentalMum, I'm in that situation with DS. He sometimes gulps a lot of air and if he doesn't burp it comes back up with loads of milk. I'd rather wake up a bit to burp him than wake up a lot because the bed is soaked. However DD never needed burping.

alexpolismum Tue 24-Feb-09 09:12:21

After the first month or so I didn't wind my babies at all. I didn't know you were supposed to and no one has ever told me anything about it. I thought it was just until you got breastfeeding established properly, after which time they would take in less air and not need winding. And with mine it has been true - they haven't been at all windy. I never ever did it at night anyway, though. Just drift back to sleep...

Babieseverywhere Tue 24-Feb-09 09:36:25

I barely wake up to nurse but if DS starts muttering and I think it might be trapped wind.

Then I roll him onto HIS tummy on MY tummy and rub his back...he'll fart if he has any trapped wind and then I roll him back to his side of the bed, curl up around him and go back to sleep again <lazy mum icon>

Oh and I never burp him during the day either blush

SJisontheway Tue 24-Feb-09 09:56:14

I think it depends on the baby. DD2 I never burp - she doesn't seem to need it - especially at night. I feed her lying down and let her drift off. DD1 however would get sick if she wasn't burped every few minutes - it was a real pain!

Wisknit Tue 24-Feb-09 10:11:40

i didn't/don't tend to unless we have lots wiggling and squirming. Even that is purely selfish as I want to get back to sleep blush

DitsyMe Wed 25-Feb-09 09:12:31

I'm usually asleep before they finish feeding but I never burp day or night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now