Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil follow-on advert

(46 Posts)
IAteMakkaPakka Thu 19-Feb-09 20:58:24

Has anyone else seen this? The one which clearly says that nothing can compare to breastfeeding? And shows a woman breastfeeding? And says "If you decide to move on from breastfeeding ..."

I'm trying to get myself all outraged, I really am, but I can't quite manage it. It all seems so very reasonable. Obviously they're all still profiteering bastards ... grin

ClapClapClap Thu 19-Feb-09 21:00:14

The bit that annoys me is the 'immunofortis' tosh.

And I hate that advert where they give the baby the giant beaker of cows milk angry.

IAteMakkaPakka Thu 19-Feb-09 21:05:16

Oh the immunowhatsit that's just a made-up name for some sort of nondescript protein? Hmmm, yes.

I too loathe the giant cow's milk beaker one for so many reasons. DP gets irked because I start yelling at the screen about balanced diets and breastmilk and stuff blush

ClapClapClap Thu 19-Feb-09 21:06:43

Why would anyone think that the only way of giving your toddler iron is through cows milk?!

They all annoy me. It doesn't matter how reasonable they are!

ClapClapClap Thu 19-Feb-09 21:09:00

Actually I don't really think the Aptamil one is reasonable, just manipulative. I s'pose thats what advertising is for though... wink

hunkermunker Thu 19-Feb-09 21:23:16

IAMP, it's not reasonable at all.

Look at the blue line round the baby whose being breastfed (seemingly standing up in a kitchen(?) for some reason), then the SAME blue line round the sneezed-upon baby which very clearly gives the impression that this "immunofortis" is the same stuff that's in breastmilk.

They're trying to align themselves as the brand breastfeeders or women who wanted desperately to breastfeed use - and they've been pretty successful in doing that - they've marketed it similarly to health professionals (they're allowed to advertise infant formula in midwifery journals, etc), which is why so many of them recommend it (even though they're not meant to). It's disgraceful, really.

differentID Thu 19-Feb-09 21:25:33

What I find a bit hmm is that I cannot find anywhere on their website that lists the ingredients in the formula. I know that legally it has to be on the packaging, but should it not also be available on their website without having to ring their careline?

Disclaimer- I am currently trying ttc no1.

raisingrrrl Thu 19-Feb-09 21:33:48

Wot Hunker said.

It's so very insidious, and extremely clever. And it doesn't matter that it's advertising follow-in milk, because what it's actually saying is, "We know you wanted to breastfeed. Breastfeeding would be best for your baby. But it's so damn hard to breastfeed - we understand that - so here, have some immunobollcks and your baby won't even know that it wasn't breastfed because our stuff is pretty much the same. See that blue line? That proves it."

angry

IAteMakkaPakka Thu 19-Feb-09 21:43:23

It's scary how good that advertising is at conning us gogglebox-watchers, eh?

I still think when compared to the Cow and Gate obscenity it's far less objectionable. Maybe I've used up my outrage quota on that ad.

hunkermunker Thu 19-Feb-09 21:48:33

It's ALL objectionable, IAMP.

Because every single piece of formula advertising undermines breastfeeding, just by the definition of its existence.

If it didn't, they wouldn't advertise.

As it is, formula manufacturers spend 25 times what the Government spend on breastfeeding promotion per baby born. And 92% of babies in this country have formula at some point or other - so it's working, wouldn't you say?

BouncingTurtle Thu 19-Feb-09 21:53:29

And let's face it do formula manufacturers really want to do the right thing by our babies? Do they bollox! They have 2 agendas - to make as much money as possible, and to not get sued. They're basically screwing money out of what is essentially a captive market... because if you can't or won't breastfeed, what the hell else are you supposed to do?

madmouse Thu 19-Feb-09 21:57:14

oh the giant milk cup one makes my blood boil

pretending that you need milk for iron, aaargh it is not the best source of iron (except bm of course), let alone that a one year old relies on it for iron.

oh and the just two cups, did you see the small print, half a litre in total. you think i get that into my tot?

nah, will stick with meat pulses and other iron rich foods.

catweazle Thu 19-Feb-09 21:57:15

What got up my nose was that phrase "move on from breastfeeding". Move on?!

IAteMakkaPakka Thu 19-Feb-09 22:18:32

To be honest, and I speak as someone who EBF until 6 months and am still BFing pretty much on demand at 19 months, and whose child has never had a drop of formula, I'm not surprised that 92% of babies have had formula at some point.

I don't think that's necessarily evidence that the advertising is working. I think it says a lot about a generation whose parents were largely formula fed. And I think that it's far better to try and be positive about someone who, for example, managed to keep breastfeeding but added some formula in order to stay sane than to imply they're suggestible marketing fodder.

And I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, but as long as people are properly informed about the pros and cons (and that's the crux, because the formula ads are very carefully worded and yes, very insidious) then women do have a choice about how they feed their baby.

hunkermunker Thu 19-Feb-09 22:20:58

80% of women want to breastfeed, IAMP. Most of them start. Most of them have given formula before the end of their baby's first week of life. And in many places, more than half of them have stopped before six weeks. I have nothing against choice for women and everything against women's choices being undermined by poor training, advertising and no "weight" being given by society to the importance of breastfeeding.

ScorpiowithabigS Thu 19-Feb-09 22:25:02

Some of us have been forced to 'move on' from BF. I so didn't want to, am now stuck giving dd FF.

MamaHobgoblin Thu 19-Feb-09 22:28:24

grin I startled my DS by shouting at the massive beaker of moo milk the other day too! Insulting, patronising rubbish, innit?

The Aptamil ads make me pause for the same reasons outlined in the OP. And then smoulder with a slow burn for some of the reasons outlined in subsequent posts. [anger] Aptamil has very cannily managed to set itself apart from the other formula-makers in their ads, and it's very effective. So effective that whenever DS has had his very rare bottles of formula (twice at 6-7 weeks when I was crying with tiredness and confusion, a very small handful of times since then when I've gone out and haven't expressed) we've bought Aptamil, not SMA or the other stuff. blush

EachPeachPearMum Thu 19-Feb-09 22:39:58

92%? shock
I am surprised it is so high tbh... I live in a lentil weaver enclave though... most babies we know were exclusively bf until quite 'advanced' ages.

Haven't seen these adverts though.

IAteMakkaPakka Thu 19-Feb-09 22:41:11

You're right, hunker, in mentioning the importance of a woman's choice being supported. And I agree that it's scandalous that so much funding can be directed towards formula and so little comes to breastfeeding promotion and support.

But surely those who have given formula in the first week of life do so for reasons other than the adverts they've been watching while sat on their arses breastfeeding? Like a lack of guidance, preparation, support and encouragement. I think a whole lot more of the undermining comes from ill-informed HCPs and family members. And that's not the formula companies' fault. That's the fault of the government.

I think maybe something like a stricter, non-voluntary code of practice for formula ads and a really fat tax rate to pay for some more BFCs grin

hunkermunker Thu 19-Feb-09 22:50:11

IAMP - of COURSE they do it for all sorts of reasons - and a major one of those reasons is that formula is so heavily marketed to HCPs and to pregnant mums and, well, to society in general.

Look at the way women bfeeding any child over the age of - well, doesn't have to be very old for some people - are treated. "Why can't she express and give it in a bottle?" - the more socially acceptable way to feed a baby.

It doesn't need to be advertised. At all. As Tiktok often says, you don't see adverts for coathangers or clothes pegs - and nobody thinks any the worse of people who use them, nor do they wonder what they're going to hang their garments up with - they just know of their existence. I guarantee you that if formula wasn't advertised, people would know it existed.

And if it just "exists" and the companies that manufacture it don't market it disingenuously and cynically by targetting vulnerable women, trying to persuade them there's no difference between breastmilk and formula, then telling them that nobody should make them feel bad for giving formula (which they DON'T want to do, in many cases) - when, actually, it's fine to feel bad about doing something you don't want to do, course it is - then surely that's better?

And the very people who are meant to be doing the supporting are the ones who see the most advertising for infant formula. Of COURSE that has an effect on the support they give, however subconsciously!

IAteMakkaPakka Thu 19-Feb-09 22:54:47

I don't disagree with you hunker (I'm too scared grin).

hunkermunker Thu 19-Feb-09 22:55:24

Glad to hear it grin <reign of terror continues> wink

Gunnerbean Thu 19-Feb-09 23:02:00

This topic has got to be the most entertaining on Mumsnet.

I bet Catherine Tate and the like log on regularly for inspiration for new characters grin

hunkermunker Thu 19-Feb-09 23:07:22

Why so funny, Gunnerbean?

Stretch Thu 19-Feb-09 23:14:26

Well I EBF ds until 6 months, but now at 9 months and me being pregnant and very sick, I've had to give him one bottle of formula a day.
I cannot express anymore, I am not even eating 500 calories, let alone 2500, have no energy and puke in the evening when he feeds. sad I HATE having to rely on formula.
He's blw, so although he's upped his food intake, still needs milk. If he was 12 months I could have just put him on cows milk.

I frequently have to point out the 'wrongs' in each formula advert to DH as a lot are subtle. And don't even get me started on Bounty packs!!!!angrygrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now