Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

buscopan and breastfeeding - does anyone have any information?

(11 Posts)
LoveaDAISYcal Tue 17-Feb-09 21:26:17

I've been prescribed it for gallbladder attacks and the hospital were less than forthcoming about its suitability.

I tried on lactmed and the BfN website but can't find anything.

tia smile

terramum Tue 17-Feb-09 23:06:57

Just looked on Dr Hale's forum for buscopan and Hyoscine-N-butylbromide (it's active ingredient) and didn't find anything I'm afraid. Did find a mention on netdoctor about it and the buscpan websites...bot very helpful though sorry. If it were me I'd call the BfN drugline and/or the main BFing org's helpline to see if they have any information. Most BFCs should have access to books that have information on drugs & breastfeeding that most HP's unfortunately don't hmm

LoveaDAISYcal Wed 18-Feb-09 00:05:00

thanks terramum smile; I got about as far as you as well.

I'll call the BfN in the morning.

terramum Wed 18-Feb-09 15:53:20

How did you get on LoveaDAISYcal? Have any luck with the BfN?

CalaLilly Wed 18-Feb-09 16:04:00

Speak to your pharmacist as they should have access to the breastfeeding + drug interactions book. Either that or ring your local NICU as they always have one too.

Can I ask what a BFC is? Thanks!

LoveaDAISYcal Wed 18-Feb-09 18:34:40

I didn't call them terramum, but thanks for thinking about me smile.

When I picked up my prescription today, it was only for paracetomol. They hadn't given me the buscopan! Fingers crossed I don't get another attack anytime soon, as paracetomol is about as much use as a chocolate poker for the pain.

BFC is breastfeeding counsellor CalaLilly.

Pharmacists are worse than doctors ime for saying things aren't compatible with BFing (the hospital pharmacist told me that I would need to stop BFing to take the anti-depressants that were prescribed for my PND by the perinatal mental health psychiatrist).

terramum Wed 18-Feb-09 18:36:15

BFC = Breastfeeding Counsellor

...usually trained by one of the four main Breastfeeding charities: La Leche League (LLL), Breastfeeding Network (BfN), Association of Breastfeeding Mothers (ABM) and The National Childbirth Trust (NCT).

Flightattendant27 Wed 18-Feb-09 18:36:49

Hello Daisy, I took them briefly last year and was told it should be fine by GP (not that I think he researched it) and ds was 18mo by then so not too much of an issue apparently.

I don't know how safe with tiny baby tho. I'm not sure if it is absorbed into system thus into BMilk. It might just stay in the gut.

HTH x

Flightattendant27 Wed 18-Feb-09 18:37:55

Oh scrap that about the gut

It's for gallbladder pain so obv must be absorbed
sorry

But I think probably safe. You can buy it OTC I think?

LibrasJusticeLeagueofBiscuits Wed 18-Feb-09 18:40:14

I took buscopan whilst breastfeeding (I find it magic for period pains!), called the breastfeeding support network and they said it was ok my LO was 5 months.

LoveaDAISYcal Wed 18-Feb-09 18:53:59

thanks for that Flight and Libra; DS2 is a robust and chunky nearly 4mo old, so probably OK for him as well. I might get some to keep in the house then as it did ease the pain of the attack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now