Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SMA Progress.... when to move onto it??

(9 Posts)
Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 08:43:31

Dd is 8.5mths old and is on SMA white at moment. However, she's started to get really hungry! And last night she woke at 4.30am crying and only stopped when we gave her a bottle. She took 6 fl oz and slept til 7.30am. She's not had night feeds since 4 mths old and I'm reluctant to start all that again!

Will moving her onto stage 3 milk help? Will it be okay to do that?

She eats lots through the day and I give her her tea quite late (6.30pm) to keep her going til morning, but it's just not working anymore!

Apart from feeding her a 12" pizza before bed I don't know what else to do!

Blackduck Tue 12-Apr-05 08:45:04

Isn't it around 6 months+ they (the milk people!) recommend moving on......She may be going through a growing spurt as well....

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 08:56:55

God I hope it's a quick one then Black Duck! She's ravenous... I saw her eyeing up the rabbit the other day!!!

Seona1973 Tue 12-Apr-05 12:01:56

sma progress doesnt have any more calories in it than sma white/gold so would not really make a difference to your lo being hungry. You can use it from 6 months but you dont have to switch if your lo is having a good varied diet.

Do you give snacks during the day - try filling things like bananas, cheese, etc. Have you tried giving a supper e.g. cereal, yoghurt, etc

Could your lo have been thirsty rather than hungry - try offering water if she wakes

All I can suggest is to offer more food during the day and a snack/more milk before bed.

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 12:30:21

Seona1973 - thanks for that. Why is SMA Progress there then? What are the benefits? Is it just when babies are getting most of there food in solid form , therefore drinking less milk, and this has more nutrients in a smaller volume?

I should have been more clear in my post. Dd wakes most nights anyway, but since 4mths old has only been offered water at night, which she drinks and goes back to sleep. It's just the past week or so she's drinking the water and crying (not screaming in pain, just attention seeking) and staying awake for up to 2 hrs at 4am!! [knackered emoticon]

It was last ight I finally thought lets try milk... she drank it and slept for another 3 hrs (probably longer had ds not woken her!).

Must try more snacks. She's quite dramatic when eating lumps. I gave her lots of little cubes of banana and cheese the other day which she loved, but she gags all the time!

Bozza Tue 12-Apr-05 12:34:10

Could she have an afternoon tea at 4 and then her main meal at 6.30? My DD does this - has tea at nursery and then again at home. Or more milk during the day. TBH can't see the type of milk she has making that much difference at her age.

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 12:37:33

Bozza - She has her tea at 6.30pm at the moment. lunch at 1 or 2pm and perhaps a yoghurt or fruit puree mid afternoon. She's a funny wee thing. She goes from not hungry and refusing food to being absolutely ravenous in the space of an hour! Bit like me I s'pose.

Blackduck Tue 12-Apr-05 12:39:17

Toothache - reading the SMA site you are right -
'Just 550 ml a day provides the key nutrients babies need in a smaller amount of milk than ‘infant milks’, so it won’t spoil their appetite as they get used to a wider variety of food.'

Would try a meal for supper (porridge? - nice and filling and still has the milk element)

Toothache Tue 12-Apr-05 12:41:27

THink I'll try give her her tea about 5ish and then a supper of porridge at about 7pm. Hope that will tide her over!!

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now