Talk

Advanced search

What is the right temperature to cool formula milk too? never given formula before...

(6 Posts)
BeautyandtheBreast Mon 16-Feb-09 15:38:19

I'll be introducing formula in a few weeks and I know the new guidelines to mix it with boiled water over 70 degrees and then cool it to drinking temp quickly and give to baby etc - but what is drinking temperature? is it the same as body temp of around 37 degrees? or room temp which is more like 20?

Obvioulsy, I will test it on my arm, but if I had a temp to work to it would stop me from worrying that I was going to scold her.

Thanks...

nickytwotimes Mon 16-Feb-09 15:45:25

No idea what it is in degrees.
We always just did the squirting thing on the insid eof the arm. I'd imagine it was nearer 20 than 37 though!

MrsBadger Mon 16-Feb-09 15:53:33

whatever temp she'll drink it

if you think about it BM is always 37C so I suspect that is what she'll like

on the wrist test 37 feels like (um) bathwater

MrsBadger Mon 16-Feb-09 15:54:35

(NB can I ask why you're introducing formula? Nosey, me... smile)

Splizzard Mon 16-Feb-09 15:56:33

I test it on my wrist. I cool it down till I cant feel a temperature really. So I cant feel neither warm nor cold. So its about the temperature of my wrist. Hope this helps

BeautyandtheBreast Mon 16-Feb-09 16:02:23

thanks for the replies - dd will be about 6 months when I start and I have exclusively bf so far, but have always struggled to express so I thought I'd give the odd bottle here and there so that I can leave her with parents every now and again.

I am having huge guilt issues about it though, I may well completely change my mind and just stick with the bf, after all she'll start solids about that time.

I like to know all the details before I start anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now