Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed breastfeeding twins and weight gain

(4 Posts)
JeanieG Thu 12-Feb-09 09:29:59

Hi,

My best friend had DTD's 2 weeks ago and has been successfully BFing.
As the DT's lost quite a bit of their birth weight, my friend has been told to feed the girls as normal, but then to express inbetween each feed to top the twins up.

She has also been told at her last MW visit that if the twins haven't regained their birth weight by Monday then they will have to be topped up with and have a % of their feeds as formula. My friend doesn't want to give the girls formula and would like some advice on the best way to go forward.

I have told her that she should continue to offer the breast more and that the best way to make more milk is to feed as much as possible.

Any advice would be very greatfully appreciated.

tiktok Thu 12-Feb-09 09:36:27

Jeanie, she needs to get a second opinion on this. There is no reason for twins to be treated any differently weight-wise than single babies. I am assuming they are both gaining weight and are healthy, and they were not tiny at birth.

JeanieG Thu 12-Feb-09 09:53:20

I'm glad you saw this tiktok, thank you for responding. The twins were 5lb 2 and 6lb 1, their weight dropped whilst in hospital, but is now back to 4lb 14 and 6lb so they've almost gained it all back.

They are both healthy, they are getting a good latch, feeding well and have lots of wet and dirty nappies.

I think she is doing really well and should be encouraged to continue as she wants rather than be left feeling like her body can't do the job.

Do you have any numbers for breastfeeding help or something similar where she could possibly get some proper support and guidance.

tiktok Thu 12-Feb-09 09:57:44

www.howbreastfeedingworks.com/ has the numbers on the home page, Jeanie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now