Talk

Advanced search

Help - twins won't stop feeding!

(31 Posts)
Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 09:32:37

Hi,
I had been bfeeding my twins with just a couple of top ups to get them thru the night. A few days ago though, they went haywire and they won't stop feeding. They seem to be constantly hungry, the milk just goes straight through them. I know there is enough in volumn, but it seems like I am feeding them water, it doesn't satisfy them at all.

For the past 24 hours they've been having formula, and they are both a lot more settled, although dt2 is still feeding rather a lot - 3oz every 2 hours - he only weighs abt 7.5 lb at the most. At least now they are happy between feeds.

I really didn't want to give up BFing so soon, and at the mo, I am expressing and ditching the milk to keep my supply going. As they seem so much more settled now tho, I am wondering if my milk isn't good enough and I need to give it up - or should I try combining feeds once they've calmed down?

Any suggestions, or advice would be very much appreciated. I fed my older two children to between 4-6 mnths and I was really hoping to do the same again.

dropinthe Sun 10-Apr-05 09:35:12

How old are they?

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 09:35:17

Hi kelly

been there with the DTs. I think that it's a phase and if you can bear it then go with it and it will stop soon.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 09:37:34

They are only 2.5 weeks old. It wouldn't be so bad if there was one of them, but with two of them, I was almost feeding non stop, maybe a 20 min break then one would start again.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 09:39:32

RTMTMML - how long did it go on for with ur dts?

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 09:40:19

I remember feeling completely overwhelmed by it and wondering if the hv (spit spit) was right and that I would have to give bottles and stop bfing. However, I persevered and it calmed down. It took a couple of weeks (though maybe just a bit longer - it seems so long ago now, but only last year - wow). Anyway, all I can say is hang on in there if you can and you won't have to give up. Don't express and chuck, express and put into bottles so that someone else can help. You can get bags to freeze the milk as well. It's not that the milk goes through them, it has everything that they need,it just seems that way at the moment. If you want to CAT me I'll give you my number and we can talk some things through (but only if you want to). My DTs are 14months old and I'm still bfing them at night. hth honey.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 09:41:57

Also, do you manage to feed them together? That should bring the feeding time down. You need (believe me) a v shaped pillow. If you don't have one you can get one at Argos really cheaply. Don't worry about the expensive "these are designed exclusively for twins and overpriced because we can" ones.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 09:44:22

Remember as well that they are very little and their tummies are really tiny and so they get fuller quicker, but also need to feed more often iyswim.

It's a lot of information I know but as you don't really want to give up bfeeding them I want to tell you as much as I remember and encourage you It really will calm down, even though it doesn't feel like it. Ask my bf. She watched me go through it.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 10:05:29

I did start expressing and putting it into bottles, making up 3oz feeds, and that helped for a bit, then it just got to the point where they would have it then want another one an hour later. I can't bottle feed two at once neither, they fidget too much, and dribble it out a lot.

If I feed them on the breast I can feed both at once, but they are still so small that they fall asleep too quickly and wake up 10 mins later wanting more. I wasn't getting any sleep whatsoever.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 10:18:54

I know honey. You have to decide what you want to do. If you want to continue bfing then your DH will have to take a real hand in supporting you. You need to rest where you can (I know, believe me it sounds contradictory) whilst continuing to feed. Drink PLENTY of fluids. It really drains you and you NEED the fluids. Don't do anything about the house, I mean it. You've got to get rest wherever you can. It will pass, but it takes a couple of weeks. Try to get the babes into the habit of feeding together, even if only one wakes up wake the other one. Get that synchronised it will pay dividends later. Whilst you feed one get DH to feed the other (expressed milk in bottle). I have to say though that I take my hat off to you, feeding and expressing. You're doing very well, it takes time, just like it did with a singleton. If I remember rightly you don't have a lot of family/friends nearby do you? Call the local colleges and see if they have any childcare students that need time helping/observing babies. They love twins and also they want them under a year so you should get a nice rolling stock.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 10:38:10

Thank you for the advice, I am going to try to keep going for a bit, even if I have to keep giving formula for a bit til this hungry phase passes. Getting rest is easier said than done, when I already have a 4 yo and a 2yo!
My partner has been really supportive and helped out a lot, but he is back to work on Tuesday, and then it's going to become a whole lot harder - I think that is what is worrying me with the twins being so demanding. You are right about me not having family nearby.
I am going to look into what you said about college students too, there is a big college here, they might have ppl who want experience.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 10:42:43

I know. I have 3 older ones. Are the older 2 inplaygroup or anything? Have you got someone you can call to come and stay?

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 11:01:41

My daughter is in school full time, ds is still at home. There isn't anybody to help. Luckily he's not too much trouble, I'm more worried about trying to get organised for the school runs than looking after him!

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 11:03:32

Are you friendly enough with another mum so that she can take dd to school. The pickup should be easier, but if you can get someone to do that as well it would help.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 11:04:21

I don't have anyone who can help. It's quite upsetting that they are so much more settled on formula, happier and more content. I want them to have the breast milk, but they just seem to end up crying all the time.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 11:06:04

I do have soemone who can take dd to school, she took her during the times when I was laid up with the pg. It's just that I really don't know her that well, and I didn't want to impose on her any longer. I'm just going to have to see how it goes - like u say pickup won't be hard, it's the mornings that are going to be difficult.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 11:07:33

Do you have the number for Tamba? here's the website They should be able to give you lots of advice and hopefully tell you where you can get some practical help.

You also need to decide if you want to continue to bfeed. It's not an easy decision. If you feel that they would be more settled and happier on formula and that's what you want to do then do it. It's very hard to bfeed twins. If you want to continue then there needs to be away to get you some support. This bit really doesn't last long, but with older kids not long can seem too long.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 11:11:54

Ok, please don't take this wrongly! The woman who can take your dd to school, please give her a call. It's NOT easy with twins. I was really lucky my DH was able to arrange his work so that he did the morning school runs for me. The few times that I have done it I have been late each time. Now is not the time for pride. Ask for help and take help. I had a mum who organised a rota of other mums to cook for us once a week. It gave me one day where I didn't have to worry about cooking for everyone and gave me breathing space. When people ask what they can do for you, because when they see twins they get really excited, then ask for what you need. Your dd needs to get to and from school, your ds could do with a playdate. Your dishes need doing, the hoovering needs doing or even just to sit with the babies so that you can have a long soak. If people offer then PLEASE say yes! You won't need it forever but you do need it now. Even if it's just the school run, please get help where you can. It's so tiring and that's no good for you, never mind the DTs.

Kelly1978 Sun 10-Apr-05 11:22:10

If she offers again, I will accept, but I really don't like to ask again. I guess it's hard when I'm used to managing on my own - I was a single mum when I had ds, I'm not used to having help at all. I did get offered meals too, but I had to turn it down.
I think it's goin be a case of taking it one day at a time, I've just managed to bf them both and get them settled tho, I'm focusing on a light at the end of the tunnel now!

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 11:28:30

ok honey. If you want to CAT me for my number then please do. Also do think about asking her as she seems nice if she offered before.

Let me know how it goes. There are also lots of other twin mums on here who may be able to offer other suggestions/tips for you.

Kanda Sun 10-Apr-05 19:51:58

Ow wow Kelly you're up to your eyes in it. I bfed my twins and for the first few weeks I just sat on the sofa all day while everything else went to pot. My dd was 2 and she watched a LOT of tv but it didn't do her any long-term harm. I just wish I had taken or asked for more help. People adore twins and most will do anything to help. Whatever you decide good luck but don't be too proud to ask - twins are amazing but such hard going it's not a "normal" situation. x

chipmonkey Sun 10-Apr-05 20:35:19

Kelly, please ask the other Mum, of course she'd like to help you, any mum would. We all like to feel useful and that we've done our good deed for the day! I think your dt's are hitting a growth spurt, I'm sure they'l settle down.

RTMTMML Sun 10-Apr-05 23:33:40

there you go Kelly. Hope this all helps darling

Erinleigh Sun 10-Apr-05 23:56:21

Hi Kelly1978 - I breastfed my boys best when they were together. It took a few weeks to get used to manoeuvering all three of us into position but a v-shaped pillow really helps. My twins fed every two hours, at least, 24 hours a day, for what seemed like months. After a while, you really do just get used to it. To be fair, I had a lot of help. My mum came to stay with me for the first month, and then after that we had a lot of people helping us out by bringing food round. I couldn't have coped though, with feeding them separately. It would have taken way too long. And hey, don't worry about your milk. I remember having freak-out moments when I thought that my milk wasn't any good. They cry because their tummies are tiny, and they digest the breastmilk quickly and easily. Formula is much more difficult for them to digest, and passes slowly through their system, keeping them quiet but not as nourishing as breastmilk.
I hope this encourages you: the first two or three months did seem endless with regards to breastfeeding, but I think things slowed down after their growth spurt at 12 weeks. Life suddenly seemed normal again and I ended up feeding them until just after they were two years old.
Now I am expecting another one, and am looking forward to feeding one at a time instead of two!
Oh, by the way, just remembered: my b/f counsellour told me to drink loads of water when breastfeeding. I have to say, I really think it made a difference to my milk supply; it seemed to be endless. Once I was slightly dehydrated and I could instantly tell the difference; the boys were hungry even after they had fed.

RTMTMML Mon 11-Apr-05 13:09:03

how's it been today kelly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now