Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding while pregnant

(23 Posts)
KristinaM Fri 08-Apr-05 23:37:33

Has anyone else done this? I am, to my surprise 8 weeks pregnant and still BF DS. I wasn't planning to wean him yet as he is only 10 months old. Does anyone have any advice? I understand that the taste of the milk changes but this doesn't seem to have bothered DS so far.How long can I go on? If I do wean him ( or he stops himself) how will he react when he sees the new baby feding? Or do they forget quickly?

colditzmum Fri 08-Apr-05 23:38:55

I really don't know, but I am sure that someone here tandem fed, so I would bump this tomorrow.

You will have to eat huge amounts of food!

KristinaM Fri 08-Apr-05 23:42:14

Oh but I am still fat as a pig from the last pregnancy. You know all that stuff they tell you about the weight just falling off you if you Bf....didnt work for me. Though "morning sickness" aka progesterone poisoning might....

KristinaM Fri 08-Apr-05 23:43:18

All 3 of us could live off the fat I have stored for the next 7 months

BadgerBadger Sat 09-Apr-05 01:06:50

There's a La Leche book about tandem feeding which may help tell you more, though I'm not sure what it covers about feeding during pregnancy (but I'm sure it is covered!).

You can go on for as long as you and DS want to, even continue to feed them both following the LO's birth.

I would imagine that if you are still feeding your DS then, he probably wont be having that many feeds per day, so it's not as daunting as it first sounds!

Feeding whilst pregnant or tandem feeding shouldn't interfere with the natural progression of weaning, to put it simply!

KristinaM Sat 09-Apr-05 08:53:55

Thank you Badger - will check that out.You are right - Ds is only on 2 or 3 proper feeds a day plus several "snacks" . Not sure exactly as i feed on demand

KristinaM Sat 09-Apr-05 11:16:15

Any other suggestions anyone?

hunkermunker Sat 09-Apr-05 11:20:12

From what I've read, nursing and being pregnant isn't a problem. You'll be tired being pregnant and having a young baby - but breastfeeding at least gives you a chance to sit down all snuggly with your older child.

He may wean himself off as your milk changes nearer to the birth, but it is perfectly possible to tandem feed. this site has some useful info

Congrats on your pregnancy!

KristinaM Sat 09-Apr-05 11:29:38

Thanks HM for the congrats and also that link - very useful. You are right, I'm very tired, esp as i have an older child and my Dh is away a lot with work. But as far as I can see from the due in November thread, everyone else is as well!!!!! Guess its just that horrid pukey stage of pregnancy

KristinaM Sat 09-Apr-05 21:00:42

Anyone?

KristinaM Sat 09-Apr-05 21:03:03

Shamelessly bumping thread here
Cant believe i am the ONLY MNer ever to get up the duff while BF??????

hunkermunker Fri 27-May-05 12:35:35

Hey KristinaM - I'm in the same situation now Are you still feeding DS?

leahbump Fri 27-May-05 12:42:09

I am 30 weeks pg and still feeding my ds (fell pg when he was about 9 months). The La Leche book is very good btw!

IT was sore for a while...nips were sensitive and ds was not so keen. Now however he is very keen and all seems to be going well. He has been down to 2 feeds (am and pm) since i fell pg and occasionally has a third when he needs comfort. I am planning on tandem as i think that will less traumatic than enforcing weaning at this stage. Hopefully ds will wean at around 2-1/2 years and leave ds2 to have mum's boobs to himself for a bit then!

hunkermunker Fri 27-May-05 12:44:48

I'm amazed how laid-back I am about the whole thing really - I figure I'll take the path of least resistance with this (as with most things, tbh!) - if that means I tandem feed, then so be it!

Good luck with the last 10 weeks, Leah!

leahbump Fri 27-May-05 12:48:05

thanks...and BTW CONGRATULATIONS !

Eulalia Fri 27-May-05 15:48:15

Hi KristinaM. Congrats on your pregnancy. I carried on b/feeding my son throughout my previous pregnancy. He was a lot older than your ds (2 when I got pregnant) I did find I had sore nipples in my first trimester but this went away. The milk dried up around month 5 but ds still carried on although this was down to about once a day. He was coming up to age 3 when dd was born and did show a bit more interest then so you could say I tandem fed although ds obviously wasn't taking much. Am currently pregnant 3rd time and have been feeding dd, although again she is down to just one feed a day or sometimes only every 2nd day. So have been continuously feeding for nearly 6 years!

Your ds may wean when your milk dries up. Otherwise you need to decide if you want to tandem feed. It can help a lot with jealousy issues, not just about feeding but in general because it will make your older child still feel included. You may find you need to feed a bit more at the begining but this will soon settle down to perhaps just once or twice a day as will probably be appropriate at his age by then. Good luck. Any other questions just ask.

milkybarkid Sat 28-May-05 18:21:35

I-m tandem feeding, was very painful feeding whilst pregnant nd didnt have much milk. My eldest isnt bothered about his sister feedinf, there is 13 months between them. I find it hard to feed both at the same time though but have tons of milk.

Ameriscot2005 Sat 28-May-05 19:46:42

I continued to breastfeed into all my pregnancies (after the first, of course). The milk supply did fall quite dramatically, and #1, 2 and 3 all gave up of their own accord around teh 4 - 5 month mark. #4 did persevere though, and kept feeding until #5 was about 15 months.

I would say just do what you want to do. If you want to keep feeding DS, then do! Your body will be able to provide for the new baby and your DS - just don't ignore any hunger you get (but don't use it as an excuse to pig out either).

I didn't have any problems with tandem feeding. DD2 (3 at the time) knew her place and understood that the baby had first dibs.

KristinaM Sat 28-May-05 21:22:37

Thanks for all your encouraging comments.DS1 is now 12 months and showing no signs of wanting to give up, although he is down to 2 proper feeds a day plus comfort feeds. Actually the number of confort feeds seem to be going up as he is very grumpy due to teething, reduction in appetite for solids and as he's only been walking for 6 weeks he's always falling and hurting himself!

One of the reasons I want to go on feeding him is purely selfish - i had a lot of pain for a long time Bf him at the beginning and I'm worried that if i stop i will have the same next time. Anyone have any experience of this?

As I'm only about 16 weeks i dont know if my milk supply will dry up soon.

zaphod Sat 28-May-05 21:54:52

I bf two of mine while pregnant. With my dd I weaned her at 13 months, 3 months before the new baby came, and bf was painful at first. With ds4 I was still feeding his brother who was 15 months when he was born, and had no soreness whatsoever.

KristinaM Sun 29-May-05 12:01:33

Thnaks zaphod, thats what i suspected...I had a lot of pain from Bf last time ( for 14 weeks) so dont want to go through that again

Eulalia Sun 29-May-05 17:51:26

Do you know why you had pain? I had a bit of pain first time due to ds not latching on properly. Nearly everyone finds b/feeding easier 2nd time round. There seems to be more milk too. A lot of it depends on the baby and each one is different so don't expect everything to be the same 2nd time round.

KristinaM Mon 30-May-05 20:59:32

Yes - baby had clampdown bite reflex rather than a sucking reflex. Probably due to his rather traumatic birth. Hopefully wont be the same next time round.......

Also i had undiagnosed thyroid disease which led to problems with the milk supply so he was feeding for ages to get enough milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now