Talk

Advanced search

12 months old - how much milk? bottle or beaker?

(8 Posts)
koalabear Fri 08-Apr-05 20:20:51

My 12 month old son as 3 x 8 ounce bottles a day at 7 am, 2.30 pm, and 7 pm (although he never drinks it all at 7 am)

When should I drop these feeds? I thought I should probably drop the 2.30 one around now, but am not sure about the morning and night ones.

Also, when should he have them from a beaker rather than a bottle?

Also, also on transitioning from formula to cows milk, is it best to mix them from more to less formula to get him used to the difference?

Thanks in advance

koalabear Fri 08-Apr-05 20:46:54

anyone?

Katemum Fri 08-Apr-05 21:16:11

My dd is 10 months and has 2 x 8 ounce bottles, morning and bedtime. She just seemed to stop wanting the middle of the day one. She still has a bottle but I plan on trying to move her over to a cup when she is 12 months (if she will let me!!). She drinks water from a cup quite happily during the day. I have never mixed formula and cows milk but I believe that some have. I have started to add cows milk to her breakfast rather than formula.
Not sure if that is any help to you at all

JiminyCricket Fri 08-Apr-05 21:30:17

Hi my dd is older - 19 m - and I can't remember quite when we dropped the middle feed so not much help. I still give her milk morning and evening in a beaker (boots one which is a good starter one I think) after all lots of people have a milky drink before bed all their life..we have JUST decided to get her to have her weetabix before her milk on weekdays, as it can be a bit of a rush and she doesn't always eat much cereal if she's full up of milk (but it has been lovely to be able to give her a cup of milk and then pop her back to bed for a lie in on weekends until now! I think beakers are recommended over bottles from quite an early age now, and if you can find one he drinks well from then I would go for it (think the boots one probably holds about 6 oz). I never bothered mixing the formula and cows milk (just gave her cows milk one time when we ran out of formula and she didn't seem to mind!). HTH

SenoraPostrophe Fri 08-Apr-05 21:31:25

He's only 12 months - I don't see any harm in continuing as you are.

Dd had her morning and night bottles till 20 months (can't remember when we dropped the midday one - about 14 months I think). Lots of people will tell you that he "should" be using a cup at that age, but I'm not one of them.

She hated cows milk when i tried it so next time (if there is a next time - ds won't take a bottle) I'd try mixing them and gradually cutting down on the formula like you say.

saadia Fri 08-Apr-05 21:33:31

My 1yr ds has 8oz formula in the morning, 3oz with cereal, then 6oz at 12 and another 6oz at 5.

I think it is recommended that you switch over to a cup between 6mths to 1yr, but I don't plan to do that for a while yet. I just can't see my ds drinking sufficient milk from a cup, even though he does drink water that way.

The milk mixing is a good idea, but I would expect that cow's milk might taste better than formula so it may not be necessary to mix, but on the other hand there's no harm in mixing it to ease the transition.

Seona1973 Sat 09-Apr-05 11:55:44

My dd was only having 2 bottles by the time she was 12 months - morning and evening. She was off bottles and onto cows milk by 13/14 months.

I started by switching her morning bottle to cows milk and giving formula at night. Once I knew she was not having a reaction to cows milk once a day I started giving her cows milk in both bottles.

I then stopped giving a morning bottle at all and offering her milk from a beaker (tommee tippee first cup - not non-spill so easy to use) with her breakfast. Once she was taking the milk out of that cup ok I started offering her the bedtime milk from the cup too.

I have now switched to the avent magic cup (which is non-spill so less messy) for her drinks of milk, juice, water, etc. I let her use an open top beaker when she has her meals as the highchair tray can catch most of the spills.

After 1 year the minimum recommended intake is 350mls/around 12ounces and they shouldnt have more than a pint as it can spoil the appetite for solids which now become more important.

KristinaM Sat 09-Apr-05 12:22:06

As long as you only put milk or water in bottles, it doesnt hurt their teeth. Some babies like cold cows milk in a beaker - they see it as a totally different drink from warm formula in a bottle.

KB - how is your baby with change in general? Does he do best with little gradual changes? I ask this because my personal theory of parenting is that you have to adapt the "rules" to suit your own child's personality. Some are easy going little things who adapt easily....some are stroppy litttle b******

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: