Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know an alternative to cows milk?

(7 Posts)
mummyssister Wed 04-Feb-09 20:37:50

My baby is 10 months old, I'm pregnant again and thinking of finishing off breast feeding but as an adamant breast feeder I feel like formula is poison (I know it's not, obviously) does anyone know of an alternative - cows milk isn't an option until 12 months, is soya milk or another animal's milk any better?

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Feb-09 20:47:32

well, why not stick it out with the breastfeeding until 12 months? it's probably the easiest option.

if you aren't breastfeeding your baby should really have a proper infant formula until 12 months.

hellymelly Wed 04-Feb-09 20:52:53

I breastfed through my last pregancy-I think my milk may have dipped slightly,although I'm not sure,and I was tired,but then I was pregnant and looking after a toddler,otherwise it was easy,might be easier for you to bf for a little bit longer than to worry about what to give the baby.

mamadoc Wed 04-Feb-09 20:53:33

Don't use soya or rice milk it hasn't got enough calories for a LO (would be like giving them skimmed milk)
DD was dairy allergic and didn't like the special formulas so we gave her some soya milk on days I was working (still continuing to bf as well) even that small amount affected her weight gain until the dietician put us straight.

TheNinkynork Wed 04-Feb-09 21:13:17

If you can't find anything and it has to be formula, Hipp Organic ready-made milk is suitable from 10 months. It has a slight vanilla flavour and was the only thing on the market that breastfed DS would drink. Doesn't taste like formula at all so it was easy to move him onto cows milk a few weeks later.

Bubbaluv Wed 04-Feb-09 21:44:41

I don't think there is one TBH. Have been looking into cows milk alternatives for DS who I think may be allergic/intolerant and even at 17 months the advice seems to be that if it's not cows milk it should be formula.
It's just cows milk (or soy or goat if you choose) with extra vitamins and minerals you know?

mummyssister Wed 04-Feb-09 22:36:49

Thanks guys I probably will stick it out as I did with the last baby, I've just been either pregnant or feeding since the end of 2005 (I've also got another 2 year old) so I'm a bit wrecked. I did try the Hipp formula but he threw it away! Roll on April!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now