Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

quick question please re making up formula

(18 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 07-Apr-05 17:36:52

sorry if this is a daft question but I want to make life easier for myself with the nighttime bottles.

Can I boil the kettle now and put the cooled boiled water into the sterilised bottle. Then before I go to bed, heat the water and put it in the thermo bag and then just add the powder when DD wakes for her feed?

I'm still only heating the previously boiled water once so i assume it's okay but wanted to check with wise mumsnetters please.

Pamina3 Thu 07-Apr-05 17:39:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Twiglett Thu 07-Apr-05 17:40:53

When I formula fed DS from 3.5 months I

sterilised all the bottles and boiled the kettle at night

I then left all the bottles on the side (with lids on)

Measured out formula in 2 of those mothercare containers (they are split into 3 sections)

And then when he needed a feed would tip formula into a bottle (which was obviously cooled to room temp) shake and feed

can't be doing with heating and messing around malarkey

never had a problem

Twiglett Thu 07-Apr-05 17:41:54

you don't have to keep boiled water in the fridge - there is nothing for bacteria to grow on - water is water is water

Pamina3 Thu 07-Apr-05 17:43:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spoo Thu 07-Apr-05 17:51:01

Since my DS was born I have given him room temperature milk. I make the bottles up every morning with the right amount of boiled water and leave them on the side. When it comes to feeding I add the feed and shake. No need for heating refrigeration etc.

I learnt this trick from my nanny friend. It is easier when I am out and about to not have to rely on heating up the water, or carrying around freezer bags. He does not seem to mind that it is not warm and he eats his food very happily.

HTH
Spoo

mckenzie Thu 07-Apr-05 17:52:03

so would it be better if I just left boiling the kettle until last thing then rather than boiling it now and re-heating the water (to make it nicer for DD I guess although she's had a carton of ready made formula unheated and been fine with it)

Spoo Thu 07-Apr-05 17:52:22

Just read Pammi's message - seems like I am not the only one. I laso use the Mothercare dispensers!

Spoo Thu 07-Apr-05 17:54:03

I would say so - lathough you need to factor in screaming time whilst you are waiting for the water to cool down.
Spoo

Twiglett Thu 07-Apr-05 17:55:19

if she takes room temp then room temp is fine

breast milk is room temp (not heated)

don't bother heating at all

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 17:55:58

m,y ds used to take cold from the fridge milk, makes me shudder

Spoo Thu 07-Apr-05 17:58:04

I agree with Twiglet. Why make life more difficult for yourself when it is hard enough anyway.

- sorry Twiggy got your message confused with Pammi's/

BROWNY Thu 07-Apr-05 18:30:04

I always make up the bottles in the morning and stick them in the fridge, that way they're ready if you need to go out.

Last thing at night I take a cold bottle (straight from the fridge)upstairs in case my ds wakes up (ready mixed)- usually it is room temperature by the time he needs it! All my little ones (4) have taken their milk at room temperature and I've never had any problems at all.

Hazellnut Thu 07-Apr-05 18:38:39

I do same as Spoo and Twiglett but it was probably them that I originally got the idea from !!

KathH Thu 07-Apr-05 18:50:55

i do the same as Spoo and Twiglett too so like Hazellnut that's probably where i got the idea of from as never thought of doing that with dd1, dd2 and ds1 - only since ds2 and discovering mumsnet!

mckenzie Thu 07-Apr-05 19:42:22

right. Spoo's and Twiglett's idea sounds the easiest so I shall try that as of tomorrow. Thanks all.

Now do i sterlise that little trio pot thing that i keep the measured out powder in?

Seona1973 Thu 07-Apr-05 19:49:11

no - its not as if you sterilise the scoop you measure the powder with. A good wash with hot soapy water will be sufficient - just make sure it is properly dry before you put powder into it or it'll go all clumpy!!

crunchie Thu 07-Apr-05 19:54:31

I did the same as th others, made p bottles with water in the evening, used dispenser thingy when out or simply measured into the bottle in the middle of the night. No heating. If you are worried you could use the microwave for about 20 secs and then shake shake shake the bottle all he way upstairs if you are worried about temp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now