Talk

Advanced search

What age do Babe's naturally stop BF?

(15 Posts)
RB1 Mon 02-Feb-09 20:43:45

15mth old still happily sucking away.
what age do baba's just naturally stop/lose interest in bf?

thisisyesterday Mon 02-Feb-09 20:45:04

it varies a lot. it's unusual for a completely demand-fed child to wean before a year.
i think the "normal" range is anywhere between 2-4 years

Notquitegrownup Mon 02-Feb-09 20:47:17

You could have a while to go. Some self wean in their second year. Many self wean when mum gets pregnant again (around month 5 your milk starts to change flavour) but the WHO reports 4 as the average age for weaning, I think.

Neither of mine showed any signs of self weaning at 3 and 3.5 - but then ds2 did explain that my mummy milk had a chocolate flavour that was better than sweeties!!

fishie Mon 02-Feb-09 20:48:08

it changes so much as well, think of the difference between feeding a newborn and 15m. imagine again with a 3yo. it is fun and very useful.

Notquitegrownup Mon 02-Feb-09 20:48:50

Most people find that it is easier to distract a 2 - 3 year old, and cut back on feeds. Feeding a 2 or 3 year old is lovely though - and a lot less about nutrition, more about comfort. DS1 used to feed mainly when he had fallen over or was tired - very snuggly and snuffly!

emkana Mon 02-Feb-09 20:49:03

My three all stopped at roughly two and a half.

idontbelieveit Mon 02-Feb-09 20:56:13

Mine's still going at 2.8smile
I think the natural weaning age is supposed to be somewhere between 4 and 6 years, that's based on research about milk teeth etc.

RB1 Mon 02-Feb-09 20:56:56

Whoa didn't expect such long times. can't imagine having a toddler draped across my lap
nips will be down to my knees by then

JulesJules Mon 02-Feb-09 21:01:08

I think it varies a lot. DD1 stopped of her own accord at 2y - I was 5 m pg and I think that was a major factor - she definitely noticed a change in the taste. DD2 stopped not entirely of her own accord at 3y6m.

FairLadyRantALot Mon 02-Feb-09 21:01:14

I think, it is actually more like 7 years old...that a child may still breastfeed....although in western soceity rarely and 4 years old seems to be more commenly reported....but, I would think in our society even that is relatively rare...

thing is, normal for society might end a few days if bf at all, iykwim...

fishie Mon 02-Feb-09 21:04:11

it is often 30second feeds though. i went back into normal bras at about 20m. i like that feeding can be a subject of discusssion/negotiation = i am bored and want milk / i don't want to give you milk i am busy / i want to make you go to sleep so here is milk / i don't want to.

Poppycake Mon 02-Feb-09 21:14:54

both mine stopped around 14/15 months once they were so mobile they couldn't be arsed with it any more. Which also suited me smile

only1malteaser Mon 02-Feb-09 21:18:03

Ds1 stopped at 2.5, my choice not his as I was pg with ds2 and very ill. Now 21 weeks pg and feeling great but ds2 hasn't taken for 2 weeks now, he isn't interested, I am very sad, really wanted him to continue until at least same age, feel he has been cheated even though it is his choice, just don't think he was getting much from me.

only1malteaser Mon 02-Feb-09 21:18:43

Oh ds2 is now 14 months!

FairLadyRantALot Mon 02-Feb-09 21:22:44

oh, and my youngest was bf'ed the longest of mine, but only fed for 13 month, I would have loved to feed much longer and am still missing bf now, 3 years + after finishing with ys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now