Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding after Breast reduction

(10 Posts)
Thandeka Sat 31-Jan-09 08:32:36

Hello,
Not even pregnant yet so this is a little premature but I just wondered if anyone knew of anyone sucessfully breastfeeding after a breast reduction. I had a 7lb breast reduction when I was 19 (now 27). I went from a 36HH to a 36D. They left my nipples attached to the pedicle so they should still be functional. Unfortunately I experienced some nipple nerve damage on one side so that although the nipple can go erect it seems to do it of its own volition- it can be cold and the working one goes erect but the other one doesnt but sometimes they both do. Stimulating the non working nipple can occasionally cause deep pain so I think the nerve wiring in the nipple has gone haywire!

Which slightly worries me as I may not be able to breastfeed from that breast. I may not be able to breastfeed from both but I suspect I will less likely from this damaged breast.

Anyhow just wondered if any mumsnetters had any experience of this and could offer any advice.
Cheers.

LadyOfWaffle Sat 31-Jan-09 10:28:14

Sorry I have no advice but I found these links for you to have a look at -

Here
and more listed here

I do though get the 'problem' you talked about - one nipple may go erect in the cold whilst the other does not, and I have no had breast surgery

TigerFeet Sat 31-Jan-09 10:33:10

I have no direct experience but one of the ladies at my bf group was feeding successfully having previously had a breast reduction. I know she experienced some pain on one side but iirc she fed her son for over a year.

Unfortunately I'm no longer in touch with her so can't ask any questions for you but hopefully knowing that it can work will help.

kathryn2804 Sat 31-Jan-09 23:31:57

Hi, my friend had a breast reduction and managed to mix feed. She didn't seem to produce as much milk as most Mums I've come accross (peer supporter), though I'm not 100% sure how committed she was either, but she ended up supplementing with formula, but the baby did still get a lot of breastmilk, so it wasn't too bad. This doesn't happen to everyone, but I think it depends on how your milk ducts survivied the operation.

As for your nipple, I'm sure it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. When the baby sucks, the suction automatically pulls the nipple out. This is why Mums with flat or inverted nipples can usually still manage to breastfeed very successfully. Baby might have a few more problems latching on on that side, but it might make absolutley no difference!!

Thandeka Sun 01-Feb-09 14:40:23

Thankyou so much.

I really appreciate the advice. Now I just need to get pregnant in the first place!

firstontheway Sun 01-Feb-09 19:27:26

Hiya,
I had a reduction too, am due my first baby in March so I can't comment on feeding, but was convinced I wouldn't be able to breastfeed at all. (my nipple was removed and reduced also) However, have been leaking milk since 20 weeks or less so am hopeful
Good luck!

Thandeka Mon 13-Jul-09 20:50:03

Hi just wanted to bump this as now pregnant for second time (first ended in MMC at 10weeks) am 10 weeks now but emby is still growing so fingers crossed! so starting my breastfeeding after breast reduction research again....

Anyhow does anyone have a copy of the BFAR book I could borrow? Promise to pay postage and return it? Its £30 on Amazon and that is the cost of the secondhand cot I want on ebay. [mean future mother emoticon]

you Mon 13-Jul-09 21:06:39

I have a copy but I've lent it to another MNer, I think she's due in a month or so, so I'm happy to pass it along when she's done with it, just let me know your email and I'll get your address

you Mon 13-Jul-09 21:10:23

Oh, and congrats on pregnancy! grin

Thandeka Tue 14-Jul-09 08:43:38

Thanks you- that's fab!

Thandekatotango at Hotmail dot com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now