Talk

Advanced search

Colief etc - might ditch the lot

(16 Posts)
mckenzie Wed 06-Apr-05 14:45:34

DD is 4 weeks old and I moved her rom SMA gold to Actimel at the advice of HV as she was constipated. I started using Colief as we thought she was colicy.

She cries out every tiem she poos and her poos are unbelievable - nappy full and then some, very runny, she cries when she does them etc etc.

I'm thinking of ditching the coleif and eprhasp trying Farleys instead and seeing if taking it back to basics might be helpful.

Any thougths anyone?

Also, should I go just stop the colief or should I do it gradually?

mckenzie Wed 06-Apr-05 17:18:12

bump

Enid Wed 06-Apr-05 17:20:17

well...my personal opinion is that infacol/colief are a waste of time and money but I know people like to think they are doing something. I would ditch it and see if you notice any different. I doubt its the milk, Actimel is one of the better formulas I think.

nutcracker Wed 06-Apr-05 17:28:53

Never tried actimel but when i had the same prob with Ds the h.v advised me to try Farleys as it was gentler on babies stomachs, so i did. It did work for a while but then he was back to square one.

I then tried Omnio Comfort by cow and gate i think and that worked the best. Tis a bit more expensive than all the others and doesn't ;ast as long but it worked for us.

tiktok Wed 06-Apr-05 17:39:48

Actimel?????

Nutcracker - you don't mean that, do you

(Actually, I have heard two stories of mothers giving their babies this, having confused the brand names).

Enid - can I ask you how you have heard that Aptimil is one of the better formulas? Ta.

tiktok Wed 06-Apr-05 17:41:21

Actimel: a probiotic supplement for adults

Aptimil: an infant formula

Enid Wed 06-Apr-05 17:41:47

oh nothing meant by it tiktok just that I have heard it has a more digestible form of fatty acids than others - it certainly has that reputation and was recommended by all midwives and hvs I met, not that I really cared as I bf for the first six months anyway

Enid Wed 06-Apr-05 17:42:20

sorry I meant aptimil as did mackenzie I assume

mckenzie Wed 06-Apr-05 17:50:43

yes, aptimil - sorry for confusion

tiktok Wed 06-Apr-05 17:57:28

In fact, I have just checked and it is Aptamil with an 'a'

mckenzie Wed 06-Apr-05 19:35:07

but do you think it will be safe to just stop the colief altogether or should I do it gradually over a period of days?

mckenzie Wed 06-Apr-05 20:03:10

anyone know?

chipmonkey Wed 06-Apr-05 20:03:51

Might be better to reduce to 3 drops, then 2 drops etc and see how things go. I did find that colief helped, though

vict17 Wed 06-Apr-05 20:04:24

I think you can just stop. We used it to no effect so just stopped.

mummytosteven Wed 06-Apr-05 20:36:23

same as vict17. really don't think you need to worry about stopping it gradually.

mckenzie Wed 06-Apr-05 20:51:49

thanks guys. I've just put one drop in the 4 feeds that i made up before I saw your replies but that's the last I shall do and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: