Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any Tips on breastfeeding a very inquisitive and strongwilled boy?

(9 Posts)
mumofthomas Wed 06-Apr-05 13:27:27

Hi,

DS is almost 4 months old, and have been trying to follow the Gina Ford routine for his age. He mostly sticks to the sleep routine, but still wakes once or twice during the night, depending on how much he has fed during the day. Feed times during the day are supposed to be at 7am, 11am, 2.30pm, and 6.15pm with another at 10/10.30pm and then hopefully he sleeps through until 7am. He goes down well at his bedtime at 7pm every night. But it's the feeding times that are the problem.
He's either just not interested, i.e. finding everything around him much more interesting, and literally cranes his head around to look at everything, arching his back. When I do manage to get him on my breast he'll stay there for a few sips and then come off again. Mostly he seems happy enough and lies chatting to me and grinning away, until I keep trying to get him back on and he gets fedup. I just want him to eat! Eventually he starts settling only then to drop off to sleep after all the struggling!! SO frustrating! Usually I have more than enough milk to give him, but half of it ends up being sprayed all over his face.
It's not all the feeds that are like this, mostly the mornings, but these then have a knock-on effect onto the rest of the day.
I've tried feeding him expressed bottle milk too, but he won't drink from the bottle. Any advise from anyone? He seems to be putting on weight every week, but I wish that he would just relax and feed more easily.
Despite all this, he's so adorable that I can't stay mad at him, but it's really hard. DH can't help with feeding either, as DS won't take bottle. DH works late shifts. In addition DH has fractured his collarbone last Sunday, so has arm in sling and can't even pick up the baby. He needs my help too...Hmmm

TracyK Wed 06-Apr-05 13:33:24

My ds was the same - little nosey boy. he never really asked to be fed either - could take it or leave it really.
Try sitting in hsi room/somewhere v.quiet with nothing or no one else around.
He will come round to it and is obviously getting enough milk or wouldn't be growing. Not too long now and you can start stressing about weaning too!
If he's like my ds - he will want to feed himself from early on and won't take being fed from the spoon!

boobie Wed 06-Apr-05 13:40:17

hello my DD is also 4 months and has started to do same thing when feeding including playing with my clothes. I hold her hand to keep her focused and stroke it as she feeds. To be honest I saw this as a cue to introduce solids, she is really keen and I use Gina Ford's weaning guide for four months. You could try letting him hold a fave toy by your chest. My DD is definitely less interested in her first morning feed but she makes up for it at 11am.

SkiBunnyFlummy Wed 06-Apr-05 13:42:19

I would ditch the schedule and just feed him when he wants it. They are pretty clever babies, they know when they are hungry.

bakedpotato Wed 06-Apr-05 13:52:54

mumofthomas, babies get much more efficient at feeding as they get older, so i'm sure he's getting plenty, just in a shorter time. And he is putting on weight to prove that to you. TBH you both sound like you're going great guns on the feeding front, but i do sympathise if you want to iron out the night feeds. (I'm not entirely sure if you do.) My guess is this would have a knock-on effect and improve his appetite for the morning feeds.
how does he feed at night? if he really fills his tanks then, i guess it's not so surprising that he's not hungry in the morning.
are you doing that GF thing of cutting the night feeds by a few minutes each night, then offering water instead? and not rushing to him if he wakes, to see if he resettles himself?
i have seen a thread about breastfeeding necklaces somewhere... they may keep your son on message during the day.
it's not nice when they swing around midfeed to see who's coming in the room, is it? yow.

twynkle Wed 06-Apr-05 13:55:33

Ditch Gina and follow your instincts and your baby's cues. Babies will eat when they are hungry.

TracyK Wed 06-Apr-05 13:57:44

or get a bf necklace for him to play with. some othre threads on it if you want to search for it.

mumofthomas Sun 10-Apr-05 21:28:06

Thanks for the advice. It was great hearing that there were other mums out there who were also struggling to breastfeed because of nosey and inquisitive little ones. I guess patience and perserverence is the answer. Mine threw a little tantrum again today when I tried to make him feed more...I guess that he'd already had enough and is a more efficient feeder than I think. The great news is that he has managed to sleep through the night without feeding, from 10pm to 7am, only stirring slightly once or twice, for two nights running. Just shows that he can do it! Now all I have to do is learn to switch off and continue sleeping myself...but I guess a mother never really does this... The other thing is that he is still in the room with us. We plan to move him out at the end of the month, which will be an interesting experience, but good for all of us in the long run. I'll miss hearing him breathe in the night, but at the same time, it will be nice having our space back to ourselves, and I believe it's important for him to have his own space too now. After all he is becoming a little man now...

Magscat Wed 27-Apr-05 16:15:36

Hi mumofthomas. If you are still watching this thread, how is it going? Is he still sleeping through? I am curious because I have similar problem with dd (16 wks)who just will not settle in the day time to feed becuase she is too flippin interested in everything else - especially her older brother (who thinks it's a great laugh to bounce on the sofa when I'm trying to feed. I can only feed outside of the bedroom (with curtains drawn) when I'm alone in house with baby & even then it doesn't always work unless she's dog tired. I have been thinking she has a pain becuase she feeds better from right breast (as though lying on her right is uncomfortable) & infacol has helped but part of the problem is definately distraction. Good to hear of someone getting a few good nights after similar problem. Will search for bf necklace thread now. PS. I did the whole Gina thing with ds (well a more relaxed version) and it worked well. I tried again from day one with dd but ditched it within a few weeks as it just never suited her. I've come to the conclusion GF is great when it works but it's just not right for all babies & all mums. My philospohy on all advice is now adopt what suits you & adapt (or bin) the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now