Talk

Advanced search

is it bad to breastfeed my ds to sleep????

(22 Posts)
Danni05 Wed 06-Apr-05 12:13:47

Am i associating bad sleeping patterns with feeding my baby to sleep at night and some times in the day?????

colditzmum Wed 06-Apr-05 12:15:57

Ahhh, no, it's such a short time and you will miss it so much when it's gone.

irishbird Wed 06-Apr-05 12:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TracyK Wed 06-Apr-05 12:21:34

Long term - yes it's a bad idea.
What I did with my ds was to completely confuse him and used all different ways to get him to sleep so he didn't become dependent on one specific way IYKWIM.
I would b/feed him to sleep, take him out in the car, take him in the pram, co-sleep, cc him - all sorts.
Also use the sleepy signals a la baby whisperer so you aren't trying to get a non-sleepy baby to sleep!

iota Wed 06-Apr-05 12:26:01

I did with no problems

ks Wed 06-Apr-05 12:30:16

Message withdrawn

tiktok Wed 06-Apr-05 12:34:28

I did with all three of mine, none of whom went on to develop sleeping and settling problems, and actually, I can't see how you can avoid it with a young baby...they just drop off to sleep blissfully and sweetly. Why spoil that experience for them - and you???

Tissy Wed 06-Apr-05 12:41:21

I fed my baby to sleep as well- no problems at all

twynkle Wed 06-Apr-05 13:54:05

I breastfed my youngest to sleep every night till she was about two years old and shes fine!

Prufrock Wed 06-Apr-05 15:55:29

You can bf before sleep with out bfing to sleep. Just make sure baby is drowsy rather than in deep deep sleep when you take them off. TBH ds does usually fall fast asleep when bf at night, but I put him down awake in the day. Even if you don't want to do a full on GF type routine Sleep-Feed-Play-Sleep is a good pattern to get into.
(of course this depends how old - I think with a baby under about 8 weeks it is pretty impossible for them not to fall asleep when bf)

morningpaper Wed 06-Apr-05 16:18:35

Personally I loved having the option of being able to make her go back to sleep at 3am just by whipping out a breast. People differ on their opinions of this though.

lisalisa Wed 06-Apr-05 17:09:31

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Wed 06-Apr-05 17:10:34

well i am not breeastfeeding as mine are 5 and 3 but they still fall asleep with milk, how embarassing is that

kama Wed 06-Apr-05 18:59:11

Message withdrawn

Prufrock Wed 06-Apr-05 19:27:11

fio - my nearly 3 year old was bf then mixed when I went back to work, and still has to have a bottle of milk to go to sleep as well!

Clayhead Wed 06-Apr-05 19:51:20

I bf both of mine to sleep long term and my personal opinion is that it isn't a bad idea, if that's what works for you and your child.

Don't bf either of them to sleep anymore, dd stopped feeding at about 12 months, ds at 15.

bobbybob Wed 06-Apr-05 19:59:30

I ignored all the stuff about bad sleeping patterns (thank you to all posters I read then), but once bob had teeth I wanted to clean them after the feed and before bed. He now will maybe doze but wakes up and croaks "teeth now mummy".

snafu Wed 06-Apr-05 20:03:48

Do what works for you. I bf'd ds to sleep and he still dozes off most nights in my arms with a cup of milk now (at nearly 2). I couldn't care less

Danni05 Wed 06-Apr-05 20:25:25

thanks for all your advice, abit mixed opinions,
i think i'll keep it up for the time being, he normally sleeps through,)touch wood) so he seems to be able to settle himself in the night, (except these last 2 nights he has woken after about an hour of being a sleep, and have had to feed again to get him back to sleep, but then slept through). In the day i have the trouble of getting him to sleep, and for longer than 30mins at a time, even in car or pushchair he'll only sleep for the 30 mins. He's 13wks.

muminlondon Wed 06-Apr-05 20:34:17

I did it for 8 months. No problems at all, she has always been a good sleeper when not ill (now 2) - just adjusted the bedtime routine when I introduced beakers and stopped breastfeeding. I don't know what else I could have done - wake her up then tell her to go to sleep?

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 07:43:55

thank you prufock, that makes me feel better

Mud Thu 07-Apr-05 08:23:06

I fed mine on demand, and did extended feeding

have had no problems with sleep or routines

really believe you should do what feels best, you can't spoil a baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now