Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and fillings

(7 Posts)
bunjies Tue 05-Apr-05 20:02:49

Part of one of my fillings fell out a couple of months ago and as I am breastfeeding have not been able to get it fixed. However, the pain from trying to eat anything on that side is getting too much and I was wondering if it is at all possible to have a filling repaired whilst bf. What is the actual risk to my baby?

Yorkiegirl Tue 05-Apr-05 20:05:43

Message withdrawn

BadgerBadger Tue 05-Apr-05 23:00:59

I had a filling repaired recently (I'm feeding DD2). No problem at all, but let your dentist know you're breastfeeding.

starlover Wed 06-Apr-05 09:05:46

bunjies you should be able to get it fixed no problem!

If it's the mercury that they are worried about then they should give you at least a temporary glass filling.

I had a root canal done when I was 12 weeks pregnant and it is a glass filling instead of mercury... so yes, it is possible!

And free too remember, so get it done asap!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 06-Apr-05 13:11:45

There are two areas of risk, the filling itself (mercury) and the anasthetic. I don't know much about the filling risk, my dentist only does white fillings. But I do know that the anaesthetic risk is basically nil. My dentist is very very careful, and won't basically do anything while I'm pregnant - he refuses to clean my teeth in the last month, for fear it'll start labour! But he says there's no risk with the local.

bunjies Wed 06-Apr-05 19:51:24

Oh thank you thank you thank you ! I can now go to the dentist and put myself out of this misery. Next stage - find a dentist I actually like and trust. The one I'm with at the moment is the one who put in dodgy filling in the first place. He's really stand offish and none of us like him at all. Now, what are the chances of finding a new NHS dentist that can take us all on? Hmmmmm...!

bobbybob Wed 06-Apr-05 19:56:17

Another vote for going for it. I have been breastfeeding for 25 months. If I hadn't had any treatment done in that time my mouth would have been in a right old state.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now