Talk

Advanced search

BFs in a day after 6 weeks.

(6 Posts)
hotmama Mon 26-Jan-09 21:08:30

I have looked in the archives and on kellymom.com but can only find advice re feeding newborns e.g. 8 to 12 times a day - but what about after 6 weeks etc.

Ds1 - 6 weeks today - is my 3rd child (so I should know to just go with the flow - so to speak) but I always had 'issues' re weight gain with my 2 dd's so would like to have a rough idea of how many feeds (excluding growth spurts) is average.

I don't have any concerns with ds1 - but just would like to have an idea IYKWIM.

Any contributions are most welcome.smile

oopsacoconut Mon 26-Jan-09 21:19:23

At 6 weeks DD fed on demand but she was feeding on average every 2 hours from 8am to 8pm - so 6 feeds then fed every 4 hours during the night - so 3 feeds. So averaging about 10 whole feeds a day then the occasional 2 suck comfort feeds etc.

There shouldn't really be a 'number' of feeds a day for a baby as all babies are different. Are you feeding on demand? I was and at about 6 weeks DD settled herself into this routine.

hotmama Tue 27-Jan-09 16:33:10

Thanks for your response.smile

Forgot to mention that I feed ds1 just before I go to sleep - so about 11.00. I then feed once perhaps sometime between 3.30 to 4.30 and then about 6.30. I demand feed during the day.

Just want an idea if not 8-12 feeds then how many(ish).

Thanks smile

hotmama Tue 27-Jan-09 17:36:46

bump smile

Alibear1 Tue 27-Jan-09 22:32:34

I would still say 8-12 as an average, certainly up to 12/13 weeks. DS became a bit more settled then and actually slept through the night for about 5 weeks before he started to wake again.
If your DS seems happy after his feeds and is doing plenty of wet nappies then I wouldn't worry.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Jan-09 22:35:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: