Talk

Advanced search

mixing breast with bottle feeding

(36 Posts)
boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 12:34:03

Can anyone give me advice on mixing breast feeding with bottles of formula. I am struggling to get DD to take formula for one feed a day, she puts up a battle but gives in in the end and I need her to take it for return to work. I've tried expressing but can't get enough for two feeds a day. Any general advice would be appreciated.

aloha Tue 05-Apr-05 12:36:05

When are you going back?

bundle Tue 05-Apr-05 12:36:47

who tries with the bottle? (ie you or partner)

TokenBloke Tue 05-Apr-05 12:39:45

We did this without any problems - though dd does like her food! Obviously, not sure on your partner situation, but if he is available, has Dad had a go? Its much easier for dad to get the baby to drink from a bottle. They can smell the breast milk on mummy therefore hold out for it. With daddy they quickly understand that they ain't getting any breastmilk so they might as well use the bottle! I always used to do the last feed before bed (around midnight) out of a bottle - then dw could at least get in a bit of sleep from 10 - 4 or so until the middle of the night breastfeed.

starlover Tue 05-Apr-05 12:45:54

boobie... keep at it.. and keep up the expressing, if you do it enough you will get enough for 2 feeds. Also, you can freeze bm, so you can express now and put in the freezer for when yuo go back to work.
BM works on supply and demand, so the more you express/feed, the more you will make!

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 13:07:44

Got six weeks til return to work and need her to have atleast two feeds by then. I give her the one feed at 2pm ish and she gives in after a 15 min cry fest and bottle pushing session she is 4 months and I've just started her on solids which she loves. Left her with DH while I went out on Sunday and she refused bottle and wouldn't even take it from me when I got home.

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 13:12:55

I have a time/privacy problem with expressing as i also have 3 teenagers and they make enough fuss about me feeding let alone using a pump.

starlover Tue 05-Apr-05 13:46:50

well if they don't like it tell them to leave the room!

Or could you express in your bedroom or something?

I wouldn't let your teenagers affect it if this is what you want to do... they are old enough to understand what is going on here!

otto Tue 05-Apr-05 14:01:30

There is a bottle called Playtex which is supposed to help the transition from breast to bottle. I haven't used it, but I know people who have and it did work in the end. I mix-fed ds when he started at nursery and it worked well. Expressing doesn't suit everybody, it takes time and you do need privacy and regular breaktimes in which to express once you return to work.

PrettyCandles Tue 05-Apr-05 14:31:26

Have you tried using a soft spout like, say, the Avent one? Some babies take to it as it's a different suck so makes the drink seem to be a different drink.

It's sometimes easier to get a baby used to the spout by taking the valve out so that it's not non-drip, and only replacing it once the baby is used to drinkng from the spout.

TracyK Tue 05-Apr-05 14:42:15

Is she going to nursery full time? She may not need a bottle feed by the time you get her to nursery. Big feed in the am and as soon as you pick her up again?? Maybe try mixing formula and expressed milk to see if its the bottle she dosn't like or the formula? Does she drink water? from a cup? maybe give milk in a cup instead?

saadia Tue 05-Apr-05 15:04:38

I b/f ds1 'til he was a year old, when I wanted him to take a bottle, but he totally refused milk from bottle or cup - tried everything, different bottles, cups, formulas, expressed milk - so I resorted to spoonfeeding as I felt that he must have milk, and he wasn't keen on food either.

With ds2 I started b/f but gave him two bottles a day as well just to get him into the habit. But when he got to 2mths he really started resisting the bottle. He actually seemed angry that I was giving him a teat instead of b/f. So I stopped b/f as I couldn't handle the thought of going through all the spoonfeeding again. Now, aged one he is fully formula-fed from a bottle.

All the kids on dh's side of the family hate non b/f milk. His two nephews refused to drink so I think it might be a hereditary thing. I think if I was in your situation I would be tempted, as your dd is still very young and therefore perhaps more adaptable, to drop the b/f altogether so that she will take the bottle more easily.

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 15:09:37

She is going full time and I'm using avent bottles/teats. She used to take it no problem but has gotten progressively worse over the last couple of weeks. Just tried to get her to take it for her 2pm feed and total refusal plus unbelievable crying until fell asleep. I'm despairing as this is turning into a battle of wills and causing me great worry.

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 15:16:10

She does seem to be quite angry with me Saadia for daring to change things and I must admit I am tempted to swap completely over to formula. I am reluctant though as it's best for her. I had this problem with my first three children, they wouldn't take a bottle at all but I did not work then so it did not matter. I thought if I gave her bottles from early on she would not reject them later on but that hasn't helped.

otto Tue 05-Apr-05 15:16:49

Could it be the timing of the bottle feeds? If she's started on solids then maybe she just not hungry when you give her the bottle.

starlover Tue 05-Apr-05 15:25:00

is she better with expressed milk than formula?

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 15:35:10

Yes, she makes a fuss at first then when she tastes it's my milk she guzzles it down. She obviously doesn't like formula but she has taken it, albeit reluctantly.

nailpolish Tue 05-Apr-05 15:36:50

can you mix the 2? dont know how ok that is

then cut down the em

saadia Tue 05-Apr-05 15:39:11

Boobie, I think some babies are just very stubborn. My ds1 would go hungry for hours rather than drink from a bottle. If you try different combinations of cups, bottles, types of milk, and she refuses all, then you shouldn't feel too bad if you have to drop the b/f. I was also very reluctant to stop b/f ds2, but felt that he should get into the habit of non-b/f milk as he will need to drink it in the long term.

saadia Tue 05-Apr-05 15:46:01

Having said that, though, I didn't feel too strongly either way in the b/f v f/f debate.

starlover Tue 05-Apr-05 15:56:32

If she will take your milk ok then I would carry on with the expressing to build your supply up. She will be gone 6 months when you go back to work won't she?
So if she is on solids she may only need the one bottle during the day, especially if you give her a big feed just before you drop her off....

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 16:10:43

Just caved in and breastfed as she would not touch the bottle today after trying since 2pm baby now but mother.

mears Tue 05-Apr-05 16:14:38

boobie - if you express small amounts every day and freeze it, you will have plenty by the time you go back to work. I personally would forget persisting with it just now. 6 weeks is a long time really and by the time you are going back to work she may well take a cup. She will not need milk at all mealtimes. Will you be working full time?

boobie Tue 05-Apr-05 16:26:15

yes full time and won't be able to pump at work. You could well be right, I think I will express as much as I can now and freeze and see how she goes on the solids my first three were drinking boiled cows milk from a cup at about six/seven months and scoffing three good meals a day. The trouble is all the advice on feeding and weaning has changed since I had my first three and I feel like I'm starting from scratch after so long.

TracyK Tue 05-Apr-05 19:23:29

I don't really blame her for preferring bm to formula - formula even smells horrid.
Mix 90% bm and 10% formula and then gradually increase the formula ratio over a couple of weeks.
Expressing is a pain but it is still worth it if you want dd to get the best milk.
I expressed most feeds for my ds towards the end of 1 year as he was biting me.
Plus- I think by law you must be allowed to express at work. - so just express in your lunch hour - start expressing now and you'll be amazed how quickly your supply picks up. I started only getting an ounce in 30 mins then after a month or so it was sometimes 12oz!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: