Talk

Advanced search

Colief and demand BF ing

(8 Posts)
jumpjockey Thu 22-Jan-09 12:26:25

The packet says you shoudl express off a bit of foremilk and keep it in the fridge, then before each feed you "warm a few teaspoonsful to room temperature", add 4 drops of coleif and then feed.

I've tried this and it's massively impractical - you're tied to the house, and dd often spits back a lot of what I try to give her. In the night I've been expressing a tiny bit into a cup and giving her that, but that means the medication isn't living in the fridge and she has to wait before feeding and gets grumpy, hence spitting a lot of it back.

I asked the nurse at the local new mums drop-in who suggested keeping a pack of ready-made formula by the bed for night feeds shock As far as I could see, not only is that bad in that I'm BFing my daughter, not formula feeding her, according to the instructions a) you have to make up a formula feed with the drops in it half an hour before feeding, which fails the 'on demand' test and b) the way it works is that it de-activates the lactose in the BM, which it won't be able to do if it's working on formula milk instead.

Does anyone have any genius ideas as to how to get this to work? They suggest ways for doing it with bottles of EBM but that again requires the half hour wait before you can use it.

mothersmilk Thu 22-Jan-09 13:34:11

have you tried infacol? much easier jus dropper in there mouth and then feed worked for my ds
smells good to

jumpjockey Thu 22-Jan-09 14:13:01

yes, we've tried infacol and gripe water and neither of them made any difference

mothersmilk Thu 22-Jan-09 14:29:02

can you use cooled boiled water instead keep it in a sterile container and leave it out at room temp
also does the ebm have to be kept in the fridge?
freshly expressed bm can be kept at room temp for 6 hours due to its antibacteriel nature
if you expressed in he morning would you then have enough for the day feeds express again at night and keep it by the bed for the night feeds?
obviosly wait as late as poss to express so the 6hours is enough

LolaBella Thu 22-Jan-09 17:34:02

Hi Jumpjockey my son also had colic (he's just getting better now at 12 weeks) and we used Colief which to us was a godsend.

Anyway, I used to express about 3-4oz of breastmilk each morning and then split that into 6 or 7 steralised bottles which would usually last the day, each with about 10-20mls in (you don't need alot). I kept these in the fridge and warmed them up when needed in a cup of hot water which took about 30 seconds. A bit faffy i know but it was the easiest way i could think of as i am not any good at hand expressing. I used Colief with all good feeds but not on the ones where he was asking after only half an hour since last feed. Very effective for us.

Hope this helps

jumpjockey Thu 22-Jan-09 20:40:37

lola - i guess that's probably the safest way to do it as she's drunk from a bottle a couple of times, at the moment it's probably not working that well as she spits so much back. and mothersmilk that's true about room temp, will bear that in mind as well for the night shift.

lizzytee Fri 23-Jan-09 08:53:46

DD had to have daily doses of vitamins from an early age and we found the best way to administer any medicine was to use a syringe - you can buy them from any chemist or if you know anyone who works in a healthcare setting get them to pick you up a packet of 5ml syringes.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 23-Jan-09 09:01:05

I used to hand express a bit in the morning and store it in the fridge - then microwave a little bit and give it to her with the colief using a dropper (from the infacol bottle actually). I think I used to only give her about 5ml as it was easier to get her to swallow it and she didn't ever take bottles. I know microwaving breastmilk isn't meant to be great but that tiny bit isn't really for nutrition, it's more a carrier for the colief. We used the colief for around 3 months, it was amazing. We did manage to get a couple of bottles on prescription so it's worth asking the GP. Also it's sometimes cheaper on Ebay.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: