Talk

Advanced search

Caffeine and breast feeding

(9 Posts)
artichokes Wed 21-Jan-09 11:28:53

Should you avoid caffeine when BF?

I had a terrible night with a gripey uncomfortable DD2 last night. I am hoping I can blame it on caffeine or goats cheese (both of which i had yesterday) and not have to worry that it is the start of colic (dd2 is 5 weeks).

Marthasmama Wed 21-Jan-09 12:35:10

I think you can have a little bit of caffeine, about three cups of coffee. But coke, chocolate and tea also contain caffine (which I always forget!). It can also build up in their systems. It might be worth cutting it out for a few days to see whether this improves things. If you can cope without it of course!!!

LadyOfWaffle Wed 21-Jan-09 12:37:02

I think it has an effect, I read about donating breastmilk and you could not drink red bull or too much coffee. If you can cut back then do, it can't hurt

mothersmilk Wed 21-Jan-09 12:58:40

i have to say i thought the same with my ds at about five weeks it seemed as though my caffine intake was effecting him so i cut it out and found a little difference but with out realising it my caffine intake rose again and i found no difference in his night time habbits think perhaps it was acombanation of caffine and colic also i tried not to drink coffee after mid day thats all the advice i can give

LackaDAISYcal Wed 21-Jan-09 13:01:25

Seems like too much of a coincidence but I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks at the weekend (for a separate health issue) and my gassy, unsettled 11 week old DS has slept for eight hours straight for the last three nights!

iwantitnow Wed 21-Jan-09 17:58:31

I couldn't drink coffee while BFing DD up until she was 5-6months old, then it was fine.

artichokes Wed 21-Jan-09 19:46:25

thanks everyone. i am going to cut coffee from my diet and hope it helps. i have jsut read on Kellymom that it takes newborns 4 days to rid their systems of caffeine after ingesting it through breastmilk - so if she is caffeine sensitive we have two more days of crying to go...

fledtoscotland Wed 21-Jan-09 20:51:08

I stopped all caffine when DS2 was tiny as he had terrible colicky pain if i had tea/cola/chocolate. i ended up with decaf tea and its OK tbh. now he's nearly 5 months, i still tend to limit myself to 2-3 caffinated drinks a day.

also have started drinking lemonade when out so DS1 can have a mouthful whereas if it was coke he couldnt.

sunshine75 Wed 21-Jan-09 20:52:17

It's made sod all difference to Dd whether I have none or loads

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now