Talk

Advanced search

Number of feeds at 10 months old

(5 Posts)
GeorginaA Fri 01-Apr-05 20:23:44

I think I probably already know the answer to this, but would just like a quick reality check - so apologies if this question is a bit basic!

ds2 is 10.5 mths old and is currently on 3 breast feeds a day and eats pretty well at 3 meals of solids a day and happily eats dairy. He'll also occasionally have other snacks (either swiped off his older brother or actually a rice cake or two deliberately given to him!) in the day. Bottle of water is available as and when he chooses to have any and at mealtimes.

My question is - at what point would it be okay to drop down to 2 breastfeeds a day (morning and night)? The feeds seem fairly quick and distracted now except on a few days over the last couple of weeks when for some reason we've missed the afternoon feed (either due to forgetfulness, or we've been out and trying to fit it in hasn't been practical) - none of those times that I didn't offer did he appear to look for it and he then had a really good night time feed (which was lovely for a change!).

I quite like the idea of dropping the afternoon feed all together - I'd thought of introducing a bottle of formula instead, but he's never been that impressed with formula and there's all the faff involved, so on the whole, I'd just like to make sure he has some water and a snack available. Problem is, I've forgotten from last time at roughly what age they do drop that feed - is 10 months a bit young?

Katemum Fri 01-Apr-05 21:12:40

My dd is 10 months and dropped to 2 feeds about a month ago. I forgot the midafternoon one for a few days and realised that she didnt really miss it.

GeorginaA Mon 04-Apr-05 11:15:14

Well, I've cut it out for the last few days and he doesn't appear to be overly missing it. Worry a bit still that he's missing out nutritionally though as he's still so small.

WISH I could remember when ds1 had cut back on feeds (although he was on formula at this age having weaned himself off breastmilk at around 8 months ish).

Twiglett Mon 04-Apr-05 11:17:06

Um none here

probably about 2 sips of milk before bedtime and that's it

but I bulk up every meal with a cheese / yogurt / milk related foodstuff and give her green leafy veg when I can so not too worried

californiagirl Mon 04-Apr-05 17:31:34

Wow. My 13 month old BFs 3 times while awake and once at night on the days she's at nursery all day (and drinks more than 10 oz of cow's milk from a cup there!). She had one weekend she did that with me, but then she got sick and now she's teething, and by strict rationing I think I keep it down to 4-5 times a day on weekends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: