Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'milk spots' (milia) aren't actually caused by milk are they?

(10 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 14-Jan-09 18:46:28

was at school gate today and someone was talking about not wanting to give up breastfeeding but baby was obviously allergic to her milk as he was covered in milia. Both by dd's had really bad milia and I just assumed it was kind of part of the package. Surely the milk refers to the colour or something rather than actually being caused by milk?

kittywise Wed 14-Jan-09 19:46:41

I think they are caused by the hormones in your milk. it is a reaction to the hormones, just like teenage spots are a reaction to hormones. It is a very short phase though.

SamJamsmum Wed 14-Jan-09 20:22:06

Milia are caused because baby skin pores haven't developed fully yet. The oil gets trapped inside but the skin doesn't slough off as it normally does in someone older.
It's not related to breastfeeding. You are right that they are called milk spots because they look like milk not because it is caused by milk.

kittywise Thu 15-Jan-09 06:41:58

There is a difference between mild millia which is blocked pores and the more severe form of spot which i assumed you meant which is hormone related.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 15-Jan-09 07:17:44

I think they're caused by hormones the baby gets before birth - not from hormones in the milk.

I've had a quick google, and found no reference to them being caused by breastfeeding at all.

kittywise Thu 15-Jan-09 07:56:25

Interesting nqc. I've been googling and quite a few sites have said that it is caused by both!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 15-Jan-09 07:59:13

Oh, fair enough - but either way, surely not a good reason to stop bf?

bogie Thu 15-Jan-09 08:12:37

No my dd was born covered in milk spots and the all went away by the time she was 2 months

kittywise Thu 15-Jan-09 08:15:27

NQC, absolutely agree!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 15-Jan-09 10:06:43

(Although, of course, if a mother wants to stop breastfeeding, but isn't happy saying as much, maybe she'll eagerly leap on any 'reason' to stop?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now