Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do I reallly need a steriliser??

(8 Posts)
Nemoandthefishes Tue 13-Jan-09 10:49:08

need to buy everything again for dc4 and dont know if we need a steriliser or can I just use the dishwasher??[lazy slattern..lol]

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 13-Jan-09 10:52:12

if you wash everything very well first then i believe a dishwasher should be fine. Do wash them first in hot soapy water though.

georgiemum Tue 13-Jan-09 10:53:30

I found a cold water one really useful for sterilising things like toys and teethers that can't go in the dishwasher.

I now use it to keep my dishwasher tablets in!

Smittals Tue 13-Jan-09 11:13:57

I read somewhere that dishwashers in the UK don't get hot enough to sterilize baby bottles properly - but ones in the US do, hence the idea. Not sure if this is just bolleaux or not. I used a microwave sterilizer first time round but friends have just recommended milton tablets in a plastic bowl (or icecream box)as being far easier and quicker.

bronze Tue 13-Jan-09 11:15:29

just get some tablets or milton for anything you feel really needs a good steralisation

SydneyB Tue 13-Jan-09 11:38:10

As long as you wash thoroughly with VERY hot water and soap and air dry then I believe you don't really need one. There is a thread somewhere on here with some research on the subject. If you don't wash residue old milk properly from a bottle then I believe a steriliser won't necessarily protect you against bacteria in this case? Its the milk that is the danger. I mean, we don't sterilise our nipples or our hands before handling babies do we??

Nemoandthefishes Tue 13-Jan-09 11:42:14

I do wash them thoroughly anyway as you have to before steriliser but am just thinking about cost cutting if there is no real need.

bubbleymummy Tue 13-Jan-09 18:59:26

IS this for a newborn or an older baby? If it's for a newborn then you will definitely need to sterilise. It's really not worth the risk of the baby getting sick. The guidelines are there for a reason! I'm sure you coudl get a second hand one on ebay or maybe freecycle or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now