Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Very hard swollen breasts, newborn latches poorly, not sure if she is getting enough milk :-(

(24 Posts)
Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 00:05:09

Hi, I am getting desperate here and not sure what to do. My breasts swell hugely today making it really difficult to latch on. She also gets fairly frustrated after few tries making it even more tricky.

I am also not sure if she is getting enough milk so planing to weigh her from now on.

I am a complete mess now, and really desperate since I hate seeing her frustrated. I think that my boobs just do not start flowing the milk as they should after few sucks. Is there anything I can do?

Please help!

CharCharGabor Mon 12-Jan-09 00:08:46

How old is she? If your breasts are engorged you can express a small amount off to soften them a bit. Newborns can often be a bit fussy at the breast, the world's all new to them. What do you mean by planning to weigh her? Weighing too frequently can do more harm than good.

squatchette Mon 12-Jan-09 00:08:47

Firstly how old is little one?
If your milk has just come in you could be engorged making it hard for little one to latch on.

squatchette Mon 12-Jan-09 00:09:45

Great minds and all that Charchargrin.

CharCharGabor Mon 12-Jan-09 00:10:49

grin

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 00:11:41

agree with the others, from what i have read on here it's a really common thing and easily sorted, don't fret. smile congratulations on your wee girl, by the way.

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 00:13:00

but if you can manage to get in front of a proper breastfeeding counsellor, that's worth it's weight in gold. for your confidence, as much as anything else.
have a look for the numbers here www.howbreastfeedingworks.com

CharCharGabor Mon 12-Jan-09 00:13:40

Yes agree with that, a bfc would be a great help, even if everything's fine and you just need some reassurance smile

Grendle Mon 12-Jan-09 00:19:27

I agree that you need some RL help. National bf helpline: 0844 20 909 20.

If your milk is just coming in then you could try reverse pressure softning (RPS). Video here demonstrates the technique (it's the one on the right -the lady with both breasts out). Also diagrams here (scroll down).

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 00:26:31

She was born this wednesday 7.1. so 4 days and a bit

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 00:28:20

give yourselves a chance, then. smile you're both learning. congrats again.

CharCharGabor Mon 12-Jan-09 00:29:37

Yes, I'd definitely give it a bit longer to get the hang of it. She's still only new. Do ring the helplines though if you want to put your mind at rest. Congratulations smile

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 00:31:46

yes my milk just came today properly, so it is probably engorgement....she would try to latch on few times and then she would cry..so get tired, needs calming down and eventually gets really tired ...we just weighed her and she is down from 3680g to 3340g so I guess that is still OK. I am just very sad it is not working...

Maybe I should try to express some and spoon feed it to her, since when my boobs were not that large she latched on at some point even though after a long time.

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 00:44:22

don't be sad yet, please. this is just the beginning. i don't knkow about spoon feeding, did you try to let a little off first?

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 01:00:55

yes, I am now softening the nipple, few hours before I tried to pump and then she latched on but I do not think the milk was flowing well afterwards for her so she was sad again

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 01:05:09

it's not for you to say at this stage, tbh. the milk might just as easily have been flowing too much, the effect is similar on the baby. please try not to worry, babies get sad while they're getting the hang of this, i'm sure your boobs will do what they've gotta do and so will your baby. but you're both still getting the hang of it, and your milk has only just come in.

i wish i knew more about having hard breasts, unfortunately my problem was the opposite, in fact i'm a little envy . grin

did you watch the video clips?

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 01:11:57

Yes I did the reverse pressure to soften the nipple, but she still didn't latch on.

I don't think that she should be starving.

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 01:24:40

do you think she is starving right now? what about if you more or less express right into her mouth, does she get interested then?

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 01:49:46

no, she just screams instead and then falls asleep when we calm her down. it is easy for people to say that she is small and will learn eventually, but what will happen till then they do not say.

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 01:56:04

anyway we have tried to express some and spoon fed her and that went really well! I think that will give me some piece of mind before my breasts soften up. Till then I will keep on pumping to ease the engorgement...hope that this will help, wish me luck

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 01:57:05

well, it sounds like she sleeps when she calms down, so then you try again when she wakes up, i suppose. and make sure you speak to a bfc in the morning. is she peeing and pooing?

also, what do you want to do? smile i'm just trying to help, that's all. i'm not that great a bfer, my supply was never good, so maybe i'm not the best person to help, sorry.

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 01:58:23

x-posted. good about teh spoon feeding.

will the pumping not make the engorgement worse? what about having a bath and letting some of the milk subside?

Forensica Mon 12-Jan-09 02:19:25

I really appreciate that you communicate with me, I was so stressed and concerned for my little girl.

I am pleased for the spoon feeding, I think we shall always try to latch her on and if that does not work, we will use the spoon. I do not think that should interfere with future bfd, I hope.

You might be right about the engorgement, maybe I should only express when feel painful. Thanks :-)

Aitch Mon 12-Jan-09 02:38:50

just a little, though, and maybe using your hands and some warm, wet flannels or something? cos i think if you pump you'll be sending your body the signal to make more milk?

anyway, i hope it all works out tonight. one day at a time, remember? and if you can phone and speak to someone that would be helpful i think. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now