Talk

Advanced search

Tik Tok and others - does mastitis always mean you are doing something "wrong"?

(7 Posts)
Turniphead1 Sun 11-Jan-09 21:35:19

Hi there
My DD is 2 weeks and I have just begun to feel the tell tale signs of mastitis. Had it with Dc1, this is my third baby.
Temp is at 100 and climbing, achy, boob hot and lumpy, right nipple sore (and been a bit itchy). B*gger.

Thing is, thought I had finally got this b'fing thing sorted after two previous attempts that were problematic. Latch great, nipples mostly emerging round and unpinched after good feeds. Did have a cracked and bleeding nipple on this side at start (its defo my tricker side to latch being my right - and I am right handed).

So, I more or less know what to do following Dr Jack's protocol. But I am wondering does this mean I am not draining the breast properly or doing something else wrong?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 11-Jan-09 21:48:55

I got mastitis when I was breastfeeding very succesfully and had been for many months. Mastitis tend to be caused by strep bacteria - which are more likely to stick around in undrained breasts but I don't think you can say 'you have mastitis ergo you are doing something wrong'.

Sounds like you need to go get some antibiotics first thing tomorrow - know nothing of Dr Jack's protocols but I'm sure someone else will step up and explain in a bit

In the interim, paracetamol/ibuprofen/cabbage in bra for you young lady!

LackaDAISYcal Sun 11-Jan-09 21:59:17

ouch for you sad
I read on kellymom (i think) that a duct that has been blocked and had infection in it becomes more susceptible to future infection.

I certainly seem to get it in one breast over the other.

there are lots of reasons why it might be happening though; bra too tight, lying on it and compressing the ducts, pinching the breast when feeding, although it could be that yours has been the result of infection that has got in through your cracked nipple.

It's not always necessary to have ABs either as they can bring their own problems like thrush (although the itchiness might indocate thrush already). My last two bouts I saw off by feeding from that breast lots, combined with hot flannels and massage. Sore as f*** though sad

some advice from kellymom

Grendle Sun 11-Jan-09 22:34:11

Mastitis is inflammation of the breast. It is not necessarily bacterial. It can follow on simply from a blocked duct. The milk backs up in the breast and spills out of the ducts into the surrounding tissue. There the body reacts to it as if it were foreign, with inflammation, redness, pain etc etc. If the nipple is undamaged then bacterial infection is less likely. The symptoms can be dramatic and unpleasant even when no infection is there.

The initial blocked duct can be caused by any number of things, eg a badly fitting bra, carrying a baby in a close fitting front sling, long car journey with seatbelt digging into breast, knock from toddler etc etc.

Mastitis can also be caused by poor positioning and attachment (latch) leading to uneven drainage of the breast or nipple trauma leading to bacterial infection. Amongst other things!

Useful BfN leaflet including self-help measures.

I hope you are better soon

madamy Sun 11-Jan-09 22:37:58

I was a bit prone to mastitis and found that it was often in a similar area on my right side where the latch wasn't as good.
Have you tried changing feeding position? Although I didn't really get on with it, I found that the rugby ball hold did help as I guess it drained a different part of the breast.

MamaMaiasaura Sun 11-Jan-09 22:43:51

ow turnip. Hope you get better soon. I have only recently been getting mastitis and ds is a year now (2 bouts last 2 months), so cant be just down postioning. I would get to dr asap though.

Turniphead1 Sun 11-Jan-09 23:42:58

Thanks all for the tips (and sympathy grin). She just fed really well from both breasts and I am feeling less grim. Applied a warm wheatgrem bag and that helped. Will get down to Gp and get some anti-bs to have on standyby but would much prefer not to take (not least as had two doses intrav. at birth due to group B strep). Am on acidophilus for that.

Think actually since two people mentioned it that my bra may be too tight. Need to get to Rigby and Peller (my treat for when b'fing going well)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now