Talk

Advanced search

Tiktok and others - did you see this article?

(10 Posts)
dinosaur Thu 31-Mar-05 10:39:48

article about breastfeeding and colic

Tiktok and others - am interested in your views on this? It basically suggests that the cure for colic is to ensure that baby drains one boob first before being offered the other. Is it really as simple as that? I always did this with all three DSs, but they did all go through spells of "colicky" crying, although I don't think any of them had "real" colic.

tiktok Thu 31-Mar-05 11:08:07

I saw it - this possible solution for colic has been known, and suggested by breasfeeding counsellors, for a long, long time. The clinic in the article is where the research into this first came out, and breastfeeding counsellors certainly took it on board. This mother in the article had seriously sore nipples and what looked like the start of mastitis - these on their own would have screamed 'positioning issues' to anyone, and the addition of colic is just another symptom here.

I don't think re-positioning the baby is the only 'cure' for colic, which is difficult to diagnose anyway. I have spoken to many women who think/have been told their baby has colic, and all that it is is the baby wanting to feed more often than expected, and crying when separated from the breast. If the baby settles beautifully at the breast, feeds well and comfortably, and sleeps between feeds when not put down in a cot, even if the sleeps are short, then it's not colic.

The baby need not 'drain' the breast - all that is being asked is that the baby gets positioned and attached effectively and free of pain for the mother, and that it is up to him when he comes off the first breast. It will never be 'drained' to an empty stage. Then, the second breast is offered (it may or may not be taken). This is plain, basic breastfeeding, which every mother should do from the start...it is crazy that it is still news to many people whose job it is to support breastfeeding.

lljkk Thu 31-Mar-05 20:23:21

So how does this theory explain bottlefed babies who have colic?

JulieF Thu 31-Mar-05 21:30:16

Bottlefed babies either take in more air when they feed, may be overfed (they can be given huge quantities of formula) or they may be finding the formula hard to digest.

morningpaper Thu 31-Mar-05 21:33:15

But surely both bottle and breastfed babies have the same window of 'opportunity' for peak colic 'fun' - isn't it between 6 weeks and 3 months? Why would both be the same?

I read the article but didn't really understand why it would make such a difference. My baby was very colicky but I was told to go with the cluster feeding and let her suckle as much as possible, even if it was for hours at a time, to increase demand because she was growing. But this article implies she was eating too much?

(suckle sounds like a pig)

tiktok Thu 31-Mar-05 22:41:17

'Colic' definition is unexplained crying for at least three hours a day, at least three times a week. It's not a diagnosis of an illness. Bottle fed babies can do this as can breastfed babies...and maybe for a variety of reasons. For baby A, it could be because the baby isn't well-positioned to take the best effective feed; for Baby B it could be because her mother is trying to get her into a routine; for Baby C perhaps the formula is proving hard to digest; Baby D may be reactinng to minute traces of dairy in the breastmilk; Baby E may be a sensitive baby and be getting used to life; Baby F may have be in discomfort for some other reason I know one baby who had an undiagnosed diaphragmatic hernia which bothered him not all the time, but some of the time; and you can prob come up with other causes of 'colic'.

Some babies take large volumes of breastmilk, and grow well because they take in the calories they need in this way. But the massive volumes they take are disporportionately lactose because of poor removal of the creamier milk. This can cause them to be uncomfortable.

morningpaper Fri 01-Apr-05 08:35:32

Hmm I'm not convinced.

When I think of 'colic' I think of my daughter screaming from 6pm - 12 midnight every single night between 6 weeks and 3 months. The health visitor (and books) told me that this would stop at 3 months, and bang on time, it did.

I know that 'officially' there is no such thing as 'colic', but I think that parents who have gone through the above would argue differently.

morningpaper Fri 01-Apr-05 08:36:41

And I was not remotely interested in routine/bottles/cots or anything - she just got carried around and put to the breast for 6 hours. We were fairly accepting of it and didn't stress out about finding a solution because everyone said it would stop at 3 months.

tiktok Fri 01-Apr-05 10:07:35

MP - I am not saying there is no such thing as colic....where did you get that idea? I am saying that it is a description, not a diagnosis. Yes, often (but by no means always) it stops at about three months. You will find different explanations for it stopping, too - parental confidence increasing, baby's gut maturing and able to handle whatever it was it wasn't handling before, baby becoming less sensitive, baby able to spend more time upright....take your pick.

I am not belittling it, just saying that no one has all the answers.

Pruni Fri 01-Apr-05 20:53:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now