Talk

Advanced search

Early expressing - what are the reasons against it?

(14 Posts)
Turniphead1 Fri 09-Jan-09 00:46:49

My DC3 is two weeks old and I wanted to start expressing so she can have the 11 o clock feed from DH. My m/w advised waiting til 6 weeks, someone else said 3-4.

What are the down sides of doing it now (assuming of course it worked?). B'fing is going well but I appreciate it wouldn't be deemed "established". Is the danger over-supply/under-supply , nipple confusion or what?(although with the latter can't think one feed per day would affect?)

treedelivery Fri 09-Jan-09 01:02:18

Main problemo's for me had I tried would have been

- not feeding at 11pm. Hormone levels are high and responsive in the evening so not demanding at this crucial time would have affected supply for the next morning. I'd have had to express [for not much milk just for stimulation] at 11pm to maintain supply = easier to just feed. You may be a milky Goddess with tonnes though so it's different for everybody.

- expressing enough for a feed from a bottle. It just pours into them and so they take tonnes!!! I'd have been all day for 2/3 days getting enough together for a main feed, so again, easier to just do it [for me].

- Bubbs [when we did this at about 3-4 weeks once or twice] was a little git tricky to get feeding again next time. Wanted it fast and furious like the bottle, and couldn't be bothered working the boob! She gave in but I had to really be boss here.

- My boobs were sopping and overflowing by 2 or 3 am. I didn't mind particulary but it was a bit ouch!

- my bubs would have latched onto a brick wall to get milk but some find the whole bottle to boob and back a bit haard [think different car turns up half way through driving lessons]

This was my experience and understanding of the process, but nothing to say it wouldn't be completely successful for you! smile

If not it will be a blink till your 6 weeks in so maybe try again then?

Turniphead1 Fri 09-Jan-09 03:31:22

tree those are all really really good points. Am not a milky goddess alas and really want to protect my supply, so that makes sense! As you say, it doesn't take long to get to 6 weeks so will probably just hold fire.

Maybe try expressing in the am just to have a little supply in the freezer if we want one night out between now and then. Thanks so much.

Othersideofthechannel Fri 09-Jan-09 05:36:24

As tree said, I don't think it is the expressing that is the problem but the introduction of the bottle. No harm in freezing a little in advance if you get time to express in the day.

DD took a bottle of EBM from 6 weeks and we didn't have any probs. It was great to be able to go out with DS and leave DD with her father and not worry about her being hungry if she needed a feed.

KnickersOnMaHead Fri 09-Jan-09 05:43:33

Message withdrawn

Rhian82 Fri 09-Jan-09 11:52:18

I agree with what others have said. We've given DS an occasional bottle of EBM from about six weeks old and he's been fine with it. I was really worried as he was really difficult to get to feed at first - was a week old before he latched - so I was terrified of putting him off the breast again! He goes from breast to bottle and back fine though now, we try and give him a bottle about once every couple of days so he doesn't forget what they're like.

My HV also said about not using it to skip the night feed - though this is the most tempting, it's also the most important hormonally. I can second that just being able to leave him with DH for a whole afternoon and go off and get my hair done, or do a 'Keep in touch' day at work has been brilliant

tiktok Fri 09-Jan-09 11:58:04

There's no real research on this, turnip, so no 'rules', but everything treedelivery says is sensible and reflected in tons of other mothers' experiences.

I'd really stress that there is no need to express now. Why complicate life? You can wait a few weeks and try, without losing anything

treedelivery Fri 09-Jan-09 13:49:49

ohh and just think the pamper session you can book yourself into as a milestone award when you do take some time out......

Turniphead1 Fri 09-Jan-09 15:46:01

Thanks all! That makes good sense. I am just so pleased that b'f is going well for the first time (DC1 and 2 didn't gain weight and we really struggled). I think part of me is thinking I need a store of ebm in case things go wrong...which is daft.

treedelivery Fri 09-Jan-09 16:06:19

It's not daft at all. Things may get more tricky or complicated cos they sure seem to for lots of people. You'll be a great place to handle them should they arise as you'll be [relatively] rested and your confidence will be stout as it's been happening so successfuly for so long. Nothing else been keeping dc so well but your boobies!

Can't wait to get my dd2 in few weeks and get feeding again. Am even looking forward to the challenges cos I know I'll sort them and feel great! Am clearly bonkers.

Will need tiktok on stand by to remind me of this however.......grin

Turniphead1 Sun 11-Jan-09 12:03:59

Thanks Tree!!! best of luck for your own new arrival. When are you due? It seems eons ago that I was pg - even though it was less than two weeks ago! Enjoy your little one.

treedelivery Sun 11-Jan-09 21:34:58

39 weeks tommorow! Hurrah!

Turniphead1 Mon 12-Jan-09 16:35:04

wow, best of luck!! Hope it goes smoothly.

MiniMarmite Mon 12-Jan-09 21:23:44

I ignored all advice and expressed from when DS was one week old. It was great to be able to go to bed at 9:30 and leave it to DH to do that feed.

Eventually, though, I found that by the time I'd got my energy back again I was staying up until 11 anyway and expressing just disrupted my evening so I stopped doing it so I am exclusively breastfeeding. DS now won't take a bottle because he wasn't given a bottle for a couple of weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now