Talk

Advanced search

what are the chances?......

(6 Posts)
Tipex Tue 29-Mar-05 21:41:04

following on from the thread about when is the right time to try a bottle (of expressed milk) in a breastfed baby, I have a few more questions for you wise women. Sorry if this is longwinded. What is the chance of him loving the bottle and refusing the breast as I'd be gutted. I want to be able to use the odd bottle just so that we could have the odd meal out and leave DS with grandma etc, but do not want to jepardise breast feeding as its just started to go really well and I love it.
Hes currently 6 weeks and appears to be having a growth spurt as has fed hourly in the morning and evening last 2 days so should I wait until this phase is over before starting?
Also, when should I express? morning I gather is best but if i do it after a feed do i then offer the same boob next time that I fed him with before (if that makes sense).
Its all such a minefield and makes me wonder if i should bother but I would love to have just a sneaky bit of freedom in the next 6 months!!

Dannie Tue 29-Mar-05 22:20:29

DS2 was very happy to take a bottle of EBM if I wasn't there, and very happy to bf if I was. The other 2 probably were as well, but got left less. I wouldn't worry too much about which boob you're using, but maybe alternate the bf and expressing one as bfing empties the breast better, I think. But it all averages out over a day's feeding.
An occasional solo outing is really worth the effort, although the first time we left DS2 he yelled his head off cos I hadn't realised quite how much milk he needed!

hermykne Tue 29-Mar-05 22:23:12

he shouldnt go off the boob, he'll probably take all he can get!
express in the morn usually and as dannie says you ll knowwhcih is fuller come the next feed, if you are skipping feeds becuase he takes a bottle then express that milk and you ll keep constitent for feeding him yourself

moondog Tue 29-Mar-05 22:27:26

Babies are smart-no way do most of them prefer a lovely soft warm boob to a bottle, even if they happily take the latter! I always offer both boobs each feed, so with expressing this time around, I feed him off one first thing, then express from the other.
i don't think anything is set in stone.Just experiment until you feel right, even just expressing a few ounces at first that you can put together to make up a bottle.
Good luck XX

SenoraPostrophe Tue 29-Mar-05 22:27:44

well dd did go off the breast after a few too many bottles. I took no chances with ds and he wouldn't take a bottle. Can't win. Still trying to wean him (he's 14 months, been thinking of weaning him for 6) but I don't mind really.

I think with dd the problem was a combination of a few days where she had 2 or 3 bottles and her being v impatient. Stick to one small bottle a day and you 8should8 be OK.

moondog Tue 29-Mar-05 22:40:57

Yes sp, never did more than a bottle a day. Maybe more would confuse as you say?
I found one gave me the breather I needed on occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now