Talk

Advanced search

I need moral support - we are having a ridiculous 24 hour cluster feed!

(24 Posts)
Hopefully Tue 06-Jan-09 11:23:25

I promised I wouldn't give in until Wednesday, but DS (16 weeks) is seriously testing me! He seems thoroughly unconcerned that he has hardly slept in the past 24 hours but fed pretty much every other hour.

He is also being incredibly clingy and crying if he is put down for more than about a minute.

I am just rolling with it as he is normally fairly undemanding in terms of both feed and carrying, so I assume he is being like this with good reason, but I need moral support to stop me stuffing 8oz of formula down his throat! It's so difficult to resist the temptation of a decent break between feeds and the probability of him having a good long nap.

Someone tell me I am doing the right thing...

BCLass Tue 06-Jan-09 11:39:09

You are doing the right thing!

TheProvincialLady Tue 06-Jan-09 11:40:33

You are doing the right thing. I hope it passes soon and you get some sleepsmile

Alibear1 Tue 06-Jan-09 11:43:30

You are definitely doing the right thing! The 4 month growth spurt was bad for us, I remember thinking it was like having a newborn again - hang in there!

fishie Tue 06-Jan-09 11:46:30

Go back to bed with him! call in help if you need it round the house.

Hopefully Tue 06-Jan-09 11:54:05

I need the toiiiiiiiilet!

Thank you for the support. I got all excited just now when he fell asleep on my lap, but he continued feedng about 6 minutes later.

Argh, had grand plans to go do stuff today. I suspect if I try to leave the house I will end up plonking myself down for a BF in the middle of waitrose.

Growth spurts suck. Definitely like having a newborn again, but heavier and noisier!

Hopefully Tue 06-Jan-09 12:03:18

Last time I take your advice Fishie! grin
I just laid him on the middle of my double bed, rushed and had a pee and have returned to the most enormous poo explosion in the world. In approximately 1 minute it has come through a nappy, a wrap, a vest, a sleepsuit and gone all over my sheets! He is lying in a puddle of sh*t smiling and cooing to himself.

bubbleymummy Tue 06-Jan-09 12:06:55

You're doing a great job - well done! Just take it one feed at a time and soon they will start to be a bit more spaced out! I second the going back to bed thing!
LOL at the toilet thing - the number of times I had to just go with a baby attatched! Mummies are so versatile....

bubbleymummy Tue 06-Jan-09 12:07:42

Oh dear - cross posted. Not a good situation to come back to - poor you!

ChairmumMiaow Tue 06-Jan-09 12:11:03

hopefully - did you post about a ring sling on another thread? I got one when my DS was about the same age of yours and while I didn't BF in it often, it was absolutely great to slip over him when he was latched on. I could then go to the toilet and have at least one hand free! It also worked nicely when he fell asleep after a feed but hated to be put down.

Hopefully Tue 06-Jan-09 12:12:54

Chairmum yes I did post about the ring sling - I am going over there asap to have a look at all the pretty colours and pick one, as it would have been so useful today, and I'm sure we'll have more times like this to come!

The explosion has cheered DS up no end. he keeps breaking off his feeding to give me big grins, before flinging himself back on again with a big grunt.

Hopefully Tue 06-Jan-09 22:43:25

Waaaahhhhhh! I got a bit of a break this afternoon, but he has been back to the insane feeding all evening.

I figure I can make it through tomorrow as I have baby group to distract me, but if things aren't improving by thurs I may give up the ghost entirely.

sleepycat Tue 06-Jan-09 22:45:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Tue 06-Jan-09 22:46:53

me too.....

kookiegoddess Tue 06-Jan-09 22:59:30

bloody hell. thought it couldn't get any worse. Cannot imagine dd waking up any more than she is at the mo and she is 16 wks on saturday. Will steel myself...

Hopefully Tue 06-Jan-09 23:12:43

starlight we will console one another! You always motivate me to keep going when I am being crap, so I will motivate you too.

<<dusts off pom poms>>

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 06-Jan-09 23:17:10

Honestly, you are doing great! This will pass, and you will look at that chunky 6 mth old and think proudly "I made that!" smile don't know why they pretend bf is easy, cos a lot of the time it is anything but! but get yourself a good book and continue to ride it out! You are doing a great job!

treedelivery Tue 06-Jan-09 23:22:58

It will pass hang in there. couple of days of a flogging for months and months of free fabulous feeding.

Ride it out and hang onto your sense of humour and eat and drink like a horse. Had to laugh at bubbs sat in poo in your bed cooing to himself. He's having a great time.

Perhaps tip of dp to seek out and destroy any tempting formula you have in, if you really think you'll wobble? Just an idea.

Hopefully Wed 07-Jan-09 10:48:42

Woopee! DS went down for a nap in his cot this morning for the first time in about 5 days. Was so nice to have a (small) break from feeding or carrying him.

He's not by any means back to his nice 3/4 hourly routine, but he did go a good 3 hours between feeds last night after another evil evening cluster feeding, and he's not been too horrendous this morning.

Have been keeping my strength up with a bumper pack of custard creams this morning!

bubbleymummy Wed 07-Jan-09 10:54:39

Yay! Great news! Definitely spoil yourself a bit. Hope it continues for you!

treedelivery Wed 07-Jan-09 12:46:44

Your a feeding Goddess!! The small things get us all through - like axtra half hours of non feeding. Bless you!!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 07-Jan-09 14:38:00

Message withdrawn

bubbleymummy Wed 07-Jan-09 15:37:23

Hi Starlight - Maybe all the MNers on here will give you a medal instead! Well done for keeping up the feeding through chickenpox! You're doing a great job! Isn't it just lovely how supportive all those HPs out there are...we're so lucky! hmm

kathryn2804 Wed 07-Jan-09 15:39:13

Well done!!! Hipefully he will calm down now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: