Talk

Advanced search

Any BF experts around please? Supply at a week old problems.

(7 Posts)
NatalieJane Sun 04-Jan-09 12:41:56

I have a very lovely BFC at the end of the phone if I need to ring her, but with it being Sunday, thought I'd try my luck on here first.

BF was off to a good start, feeding at least every 3 hours for anywhere between 20 mins and an hour. Milk came in properly Thursday/Friday, breasts were still very full yesterday but emptied out during the day, last night DS3 wasn't able to get anything out of my left breast at all all night, and my right breast doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the demand. I have been putting him on my left breast at least once an hour to try and encourage the supply, it is working a little bit, he can get about 5 minutes worth now, but then he is still hungry so I put him on my right breast which is only giving him about 10 mins worth. He isn't getting the amount he was, and is really unsettled.

How can I encourage the supply a bit quicker? Why has it just suddenly stoppped? I have BF my two older boys with no supply problems, in fact if anything there was always too much milk.

DS3 has had some growth problems, so I really need to get this nipped in the bud ASAP.

bubbleymummy Sun 04-Jan-09 12:51:42

Not claiming to be an expert but you are doing the right thing putting him to the breast to stimulate the flow so keep doing that! If you keep using the right breast it will begin to produce more milk to cope with the demand - it may mean that you have to feed him a bit more frequently until it catches up though - go by his lead. One of my friends had a very serious cracked nipple and basically had to give up feeding on one side for several weeks until it healed and she managed to reintroduce her supply on that side - the baby was fine feeding off one side all that time so I wouldn't panic yet!

MarlaSinger Sun 04-Jan-09 13:00:16

Not an expert here either but I'd continue to put him to the breast as often as you can. Can you get in the bath together? Have often read on here that it can help.

Congratulations on your new DS

moondog Sun 04-Jan-09 13:02:11

There's always milk there.
The more you feed, the more you will make.
When baby given unrestricted access to the breast, 9 times out of 10, he will regulate own supply.

Relax, lay back and keep feding. smile

llareggub Sun 04-Jan-09 13:05:41

Just keep feeding as often as possible, and call your BFC tomorrow. How do you know how much he is getting?

BabiesEverywhere Sun 04-Jan-09 13:18:08

I agree with PP, just keep breastfeeding when your baby asks and he will regulate your milk supply.

BTW at this early stage you should always be offering both 'sides' at every feed. i.e. Put the baby on one side when he comes off, offer the second side(which he may or may not take...either response is fine). At the next feed put him on the second side first.

Some babies take one side per feed and at other times, they might take 2,3 or more sides.

BigTeuchLittleTeuch Sun 04-Jan-09 16:41:53

NJ - congrats again!

Have you tried a 'rugby' hold for your left breast, to make sure he is not just feeding where he is comfy?

Timing how long they are on for is not very accurate as some babies are very efficient feeders (DS1 was) and some very slow.

At a week old, I would say he is also having a 'bump' day - fussing and returning to the breast again and again in order to bump up your supply for a growth spurt. Again, DS1 did this lots and DS2 did it at exactly 1 wk, 2wks and 3 wks!

You know the drill - watch his nappies and keep him close to you whenever possible, with plenty of skin-to-skin when temperatures allow - it's january after all!!

Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now