Talk

Advanced search

Has any long term breast/fders left their baby in order to stop?

(7 Posts)
dropinthe Tue 29-Mar-05 09:06:44

I am at my wits end-My 14 month old ds is really only feeding for comfort these days although as he is sleeping in our bed he feeds alot at night and seems hungry. However,I work two evenings a week and two full days and he will happily drink from a bottle of formula from Dad but of course I'm always back at nights for bst/feeds. My Doctor and some other mothers I've spoken to say the best way to stop,(which I want to do DESPERATELY now!)is to have a couple of nights away from him-ie a weekend completely away from him. I could also really really really do with this for my own good too but I was wondering if anyone else had tried it with success??
If not, has anyone else got any suggestions on how to stop because he is driving me crazy-contolled crying isnt really an option I think-I'm just not mentally strong enough to do it at the moment and dh is working really hard at the moment.

dropinthe Tue 29-Mar-05 11:34:19

bump.

moondog Tue 29-Mar-05 11:39:10

This sounds a bit much now..the night feeds and work. I would go with the w/end away option (do you good too!)
Is he your first? I would have found it hard to do this with my first but will be much more ruthless with ds if it comes to this (don't think ikt wsill though-now nearly 9 mths and hardly b/feeds at all-so unlike his sister!)

If you're ready to stop then it's time to do it.
Good luck
XXX

zubb Tue 29-Mar-05 11:43:50

I stopped with ds2 at 15 months because I went away with work - so kind of the same thing. I would have stopped soon anyway and it gave me the perfect excuse. I cut down to just one feed before I went, and tried to give him a cup of milk, but with me around it really wasn't working.
I went away for a couple of nights, and he wouldn't take milk from dh, but when I came back and still wasn't feeding him he got the idea, and started drinking his milk.
Long ramble there, but I think it does help to have a break, and it will do you a world of good.
Good luck !

dropinthe Tue 29-Mar-05 13:25:41

Thank you two-sorry I didn't respond-have been busy-I just need to try and orcherstrate where and with whom will take me!!!

dinosaur Tue 29-Mar-05 13:28:43

A friend of mine did this with her DD1 who was two and still an enthusiastic breastfeeder. She went away for a few days ski-ing with a girlfriend. It worked, but I can't remember the gory details!

eandc Thu 31-Mar-05 13:05:31

I had similar problem with my son, just waking lots in the night, and needing breastfeeding to go back to sleep. So I slept in the spare room, and left DH and baby in our bed. It only took 2 nights to break the habit, and I was able to totally stop BF. It really wasn't as bad as I was expecting!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now