Talk

Advanced search

nursing bras

(14 Posts)
bluemousemummy Thu 01-Jan-09 21:07:03

Am 32 weeks pregnant, when can i get measured for a nursing bra? Also, does anyone know how you measure yourself if possible cos I live in the sticks and can't get into town easily... thanks smile

whomovedmychocolate Thu 01-Jan-09 21:10:18

As late as possible. Ideally after birth! The ones you have to start with will probably not fit you after birth anyway. I got mine at 36 weeks with DD and had to replace them two weeks after she was born hmm

Get measured at M&S or somewhere local and then order from John Lewis who do free delivery and returns.

ilovetochatupsanta Thu 01-Jan-09 21:11:42

i agree, i was measured at 36 wks and had to but more when dd was 3 weeks old so wait if possible.

sweetkitty Thu 01-Jan-09 21:11:55

I seem to recall from somewhere it was 39 weeks, with DD1 I never got to 38 weeks (37 weeks) so just got measured afterwards. With the next two I estimated and bought a few cheap ones then got properly measured once things had calmed down. Pre pregnancy I'm about a 34C, your back should stay the same and go up a few cup sizes, I'm in 34D's right now. Sleep bras are great as they are just back sizes and are very stretchy so you could get 2 of them in your normal back size to tide you over.

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Jan-09 21:16:34

agree, I was measured in R&P and they advise about 6 weeks after birth so that your body has had time to settle down a bit.

I wouldn't go to anywhere like mothercare or marks and spencer to be measured, they're notoriously bad,
do you have a bravissimo or anything near you?

it's one of those things that is definitely best done properly. a badly fitting bra is crap, a badly fitting nursing bra is even worse IMO!

bluemousemummy Thu 01-Jan-09 22:00:17

Thanks guys. Nothing remotely nearby unfortunately so i was trying to be organised as have no car and it's an hour and a half on the bus to the nearest M&S, Debenhams etc. I may just have to guess and get by for the first few weeks I think and then brave the bus after that!! smile

tutu100 Thu 01-Jan-09 22:04:09

i have some bravado bras which i find are excellent as they are designed to cover a range of back and cup sizes. handy when your boobs are changing size by the hour and really comfortable.

probably not great if you have massive boobs but mine are a d cup at the moment - ds is 4 weeks and i find them supportive enough.

lilQuidditchKel Thu 01-Jan-09 22:07:21

ditto bravado is super excellent, so comfy and easy to use. Plus they adjust during the day (your size will change by the hour!)

katpink Thu 01-Jan-09 22:15:04

depending on your cup size you not need to get nursing bras. i have largeish boobs 32H and could never get enoungh support so have always worn normaly ubderwired bras. just made such i got measured regulary and took it off when i was at home. i have never had a problem.
i have only changed size about 3 times in 2years of feeding. Although if you go down this root be prepared to fight with or lie to the bra fitting women who will refuse to sell you a bra if your pregnant or breastfeeding. i have lied argued and stamped my feet to get a bra before(even spoken to the manager of a large well know department store).

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Jan-09 22:19:25

ooh ktpink, i am 32H too! i have 2 lovely Freya ones that are fab, and a Royce one.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 01-Jan-09 22:34:13

I get my Royce ones from John Lewis online (I'm now a 32K) and they used to have a really good online measuring guide.

mrsjammilovessantababy Thu 01-Jan-09 22:39:39

Message withdrawn

ilovelovemydog Thu 01-Jan-09 22:41:57

Bravado Bras are fab. I live in their tanks which can look amazingly like a camisole given a blazer...

(and do a really funky leopard bra)

chloemegjess Thu 01-Jan-09 22:42:52

Don't do it days after the birth. I made this mistake, not realising that my boobs were extremly full and swollen and would go back down within a week. Completly wasted my money!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: