Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have experience BF with costochondritis/Tietze's syndrome?

(7 Posts)
Lotster Tue 30-Dec-08 00:09:11

I was diagnosed with this after I finished BF'ing my son. I'd had a fairly long period of deep breast thrush which I had fed through and although there was no link made to the thrush/feeding pain as a cause, it seems weird to me that it would be unrelated, as both were/are on the right hand side only.

Anyway, my question is to anyone who has had costochondritis (Tietze's syndrome) before having a baby and BF'ing and how they affected each other... I plan to BF my 2nd baby due end Feb, and although it doesn't bother me too much (as long as I don't poke around), my doctor has said it's a case of waiting to see the BF'ing/milk coming in etc causes a flare-up, and how much tenderness I can put up with.
Unfortunately, my two year old last week landed an elbow and his full body weight right in my rib/breast area affected, and it's now more tender than usual anyway.

I'd really like to have a more enjoyable and straightforward time BF'ing this time and not sure how much this syndrome can affect things so any specific experience welcome please.
smile

PuzzleRocks Tue 30-Dec-08 17:18:04

Bumping for you.

Lotster Tue 30-Dec-08 19:47:42

thanks puzzle

LaTrucha Tue 30-Dec-08 20:25:52

I had costchondritis before bf. It had gone away, to be honest, but bf didn't bring it back. This was despite my ribcage expanding quite considerably. I did find not touching it really helped. I hope you are lucky!

Lotster Tue 30-Dec-08 20:43:23

ok that's great to know, thanks!

notcitrus Wed 31-Dec-08 13:46:56

had costo a few years ago- had to put off ttc for a year. being pregnant and bf didn't make any difference - a couple joints are a bit sore if I prod them but that's it.

Lotster Wed 31-Dec-08 17:01:45

more good news, thanks citrus.

My right side has calmed back down again since the elbow incident so fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now