Talk

Advanced search

Switching from a 3 hour routine to a 4 hour routine...

(8 Posts)
ShinySarah Mon 29-Dec-08 08:25:16

Hi,
My baby is coming up to 4 months and all the books are recommending that he should now switch to a 4 hour routine (he's now bottle fed)...Any ideas? Suggestions? Tips? Advice??? He's done soooo well on the 3 hour routine and sleeps from 7pm till 4am only waking for a feed that I'm scared it will really change his sleep patterns etc!!!!

CharCharGaboriaInExcelsisDeo Mon 29-Dec-08 08:27:12

I would keep feeding him as and when he wants it, seems like you have a good routine going there. Ignore the books! smile

belgo Mon 29-Dec-08 08:37:00

I thought they naturally went to four hours when they were ready. I would stick to what you are doing, sleeping from 7pm-4am is great.

littleboyblue Mon 29-Dec-08 08:40:55

I wouldn't change it then, if it's going well. Some babies need little often and others can go for longer, a friend of mine only fed her baby every 5 hours because the baby was fine without food for that long. I put my ds on a 4 hour routine a few weeks after birth because that what fit in with me, I was of the thought that he should fit in to my life, not the other way around. If it works for you and he is happy, I'd leave it tbh, routines change on their own when babies want them to. 7-4 sleeping is brilliant

Seona1973 Mon 29-Dec-08 14:30:57

my lo was just over 4 months when he naturally started going 4 hours between feeds.

ShinySarah Tue 30-Dec-08 16:38:40

Thank you all!! Burn the books!!! x

kookiegoddess Tue 06-Jan-09 23:08:17

shiny, can I ask you how it's going? I read about changing to 4 hourly too, and panicked like you!!! Hard to know what to do and tbh, I'd really like her to go 4 hourly - but not before she's ready. Guess I'll have to wait and see what the next few weeks bring.... Good luck!

ShinySarah Thu 08-Jan-09 11:07:18

Hey Kookiegoddess,
I've decided to just see how he goes really, not changing him yet. He's 4 months next Tuesday so going to see if he'll naturally start going longer but no massive changes yet!!!! If he gets to 5 months and is still bang on 3 hours then will maybe cry for help!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now