Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

spacing feeds

(15 Posts)
Tipex Sat 26-Mar-05 21:07:00

Just a quickie, when do babies start to go a little longer between feeds? My DS is almost 6 weeks and still feeding 2-3 hourly on average which is what hes done since the start pretty much. Sometimes esp evenings he feeds more often and he has done the odd 4 hour stint between feeds but is mainly 2-3 hrs. My friend suggested it was because i am tuned in to think it must be a feed he needs when he cries after 2-3 hours but I think hes genuinely hungry as he does take a full feed and I'm blowed if I'm going to deny him. Its not a problem per se I would just like to know when it'll be more like 5 hours between?

jane313 Sat 26-Mar-05 21:11:25

Do you mean at night? Mine used to do 5 ish hours by about 7-8 weeks I think

But during the day mine was always feeding between 2-3 hours and more in the evening. I think things do start to generally settle down more after 6 weeks.

jane313 Sat 26-Mar-05 21:12:30

Also they want to feed more to begin with to build up your supply. Thersd a lot of breastfeeding experts her so they will know much more than me

hollybelle Sat 26-Mar-05 21:17:43

Hi there
My dd breastfed for several months at 2-3 hour intervals probably until she was weaned at 17 weeks. I found that if she fed so frequently during the day that she soon slept for longer periods at night. I think by 8 weeks she was only waking once at about 2 or 3 am. Are you bottle or breast feeding as I think bottle fed babies may go longer between feeds. You've obviously got a hungry baby!! Good luck

kama Sat 26-Mar-05 21:22:42

Message withdrawn

Tipex Sat 26-Mar-05 21:23:00

sorry, forgot to say, i'm breastfeedimg. if its normal for them to stay feeding at 2-3 hrs gaps in the day thats fine, i'll just wait for the longer night gaps to start.

kama Sat 26-Mar-05 21:25:33

Message withdrawn

Tipex Sat 26-Mar-05 22:15:10

thanks all. I'm happy enough with his feeding as he takes good feeds and doesnt snack as it were its just someone said their baby was going 5 hours between day feeds by 6 weeks and I wondered why that wasnt happening, but it seems DS and I are more in the norm than my friend is!

hunkermunker Sat 26-Mar-05 22:17:29

Tipex, would be surprised if it was the norm for breastfed babies (or ffed babies) to go five hours during the day - I know I don't go five hours without something to eat or drink during the day. Longer gaps at night should start to happen soon - I know DS had day and night confused for a while, but I'm sure it started to settle down about 6-8 weeks.

jane313 Sat 26-Mar-05 22:19:15

5 hours seems way too long for little stomachs.

hunkermunker Sat 26-Mar-05 22:20:10

Especially as the weather gets warmer - DS had some days where he went four hours between feeds when he was about five months old, but usually it was three hours.

aloha Sun 27-Mar-05 12:31:46

Gosh Tipex, your friends sound odd - 2-3 hours between feeds is absolutely normal and right for a baby of six weeks (my baby is also six weeks). She is different to ds who went about 40mins - 90minutes between feeds (aargh!). She does 2-3 hours during the day and one stint of about four-five hours in the evening and I think she's doing brilliantly. Five hours between feeds during the day isn't right IMO. Tiktok always says to people, do YOU go five hours in the day without anything to eat or drink? And I think that's a good point.

Gobbledigook Sun 27-Mar-05 12:33:29

5 hrs sounds too long. Mine were bottle fed and probably went 3-4 hrs at that stage - but at noght they slept through 11-7 so I was lucky there.

aloha Sun 27-Mar-05 20:13:25

I've been thinking about your friend - she's basically saying you shouldn't respond when he is crying for food....which makes me think the only reason her baby 'goes' for five hours is because she doesn't respond to his cries.. and if that is the case then all I can say is, poor baby

colditzmum Sun 27-Mar-05 20:23:51

my baby was a hungry boy, but he would quite happily go 5 or 6 hours at 6 weeks in the day, and I was a very responsive mum! He3 gained well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now