Talk

Advanced search

stopped BF - feeling sad

(7 Posts)
poppy2133 Wed 23-Mar-05 18:38:45

I have not BF my 11 month old for 48 hours now purely due to my husband giving him the bottle as I've been out etc etc. He is getting too distracted to feed properly on the breast so now seems as good a time as any to stop. Is it normal to feel sad ? I feel like it's a significant episode indicating the end of him being a baby. I can feel myself filling up as I type this. If this is normal then I'll get over it - or is it my hormones telling me I'm ot ready to stop just yet.

bobbybob Wed 23-Mar-05 18:42:32

You can stop if you want to, or start again, it's up to you. I found the distraction did stop, once I realised that Bob didn't actually want the breast as many times as I was offering it.

At 11 months he is still a baby.

RudyDudy Wed 23-Mar-05 18:44:27

it's really up to you poppy but ime it is always sad when it stops as it is the end of an era - in the same way I nearly cried today when I put away DS' sleeping bags as he has moved up a size (but I am particularly emotional about all this stuff )

franke Wed 23-Mar-05 18:51:29

Whether you stop now or go on a bit longer, it is really normal to feel sad when it does come to an end. I think there is a hormonal element to it but I also think it is just sad that that part of the relationship is over. I felt particularly sad this time with ds (also have a dd) as I doubt I'll have another so this part of my life is over for good . Hopefully you'll feel better in a few days. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

sweetkitty Wed 23-Mar-05 18:57:27

I got so sad and emotional when I pack away DDs clothes she's grown out of I'm a nightmare.

I plan to stop BFing at 12 months mainly because we will be TTC again but part of me will be so sad not to feed my baby anymore it's all going too quick for me.

aloha Wed 23-Mar-05 19:11:22

I think it's normal to feel sad, but if you don't want to stop, don't. If you do really want to stop then yes it is quite common IME to still feel sad about the end of an era. I remember shedding a tear when ds was two days old as he was no longer a day old!!!

Eulalia Wed 23-Mar-05 19:50:31

Can I just say you don't need to stop b/feeding in order to conceive.

Agree with others poppy - you don't have to stop yet - why not just have a night time/morning feed for awhile when things are quieter and baby is less likely to be distracted?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: