Talk

Advanced search

decided to give up bf/ebm feeding - advice on how to move to formula?

(7 Posts)
snhall Sun 14-Dec-08 14:11:20

Hi all. My daughter is 2 weeks old and i have decided after much heartache and many tears, to give up trying to bf. I know it is the right decision for us as i already feel as though a weight's been lifted from my shoulders. Have seen numerous midwives and bf counsellors but its just not working.
So, my Q is what's the best way to move to formula? She is basically taking 99% of her milk as expressed breast milk at the mo, so feeding from a bottle isn't a problem. Should i gradually substitute one feed a week for formula, so its a gradual change? Will this be less painful for my boobs? What formula is best? Any other advice very gratefully received as there doesn't seem to be any support out there if you've decided bf isn't for you.

MrsTittleMouse Sun 14-Dec-08 14:20:10

It only took me 2 weeks to transition completely to formula (even though my DD was older than yours at 10 months). I didn't get engorged painful boobs - I dropped one feed for a couple of days, then added another for a couple of days, and so on.
Regarding formula - I wouldn't buy too much of any one kind of formula, as different babies sometimes have problems with certain brands, and there's no way you'll know until you try.

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Sun 14-Dec-08 14:27:04

snhall MN is a great place to come for that kind of help, and if you are sure that is what you want to do you'll be supported.

However, you are likely to get questions about WHY bfing didn't work for you. There is a lot of evidence on many MN threads of women who have been horribly let-down by the 'system' and if this is your reason for moving to ff there may be things you can do to make it work after all.

gagarin Sun 14-Dec-08 14:27:13

Well done for giving 99% EBM for 2 weeks - a lot of people would find that hard.

You can mix EBM and formula in the same bottle so why don't you slowly reduce your expressing and give her half and half EBM/formula? This way she will carry on getting some EBM for another week or so?

Be careful not to just stop expressing - you'll be amazed how much milk you are producing and you'd run the risk of getting really engorged and painful if you just stop.

Keep expressing but reduce the amount you take off every time and your body should reduce the amount it produces.

As for formula choices I think as long as you choose a first milk you should be fine

Good luck

ps - if you want to change your mind ignore all this advice wink and carry on pumping

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Sun 14-Dec-08 14:29:33

I think that mixing formula with less and less bm is the easiest way btw.

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Sun 14-Dec-08 14:33:10

Oh, and if you haven't already done so, please call one of the bf support lines

here

They will help you to move to formula in a way that avoids health problems for you. they are run by 'experts' not NHS poorly trained, poorly funded so called breastfeeding councellors.

snhall Mon 15-Dec-08 10:34:31

thanks guys - really useful advice - have struggled so far to find any. Fingers crossed it will all work out ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now