Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

B/feeding and weight loss (me!) ...

(18 Posts)
Millie1 Tue 22-Mar-05 22:00:00

Okay, a strange question and something I wouldn't usually complain about .... is it possible that the fact that I'm still b/feeding DS2 at 15 mths could cause me to lose weight? I've gone down to around 8st 5lb from a pre-DS1-preg weight of say 9st 4lb and heavier than that before getting preg with DS2 (ie from a 10/12 to a comfy 8) ... all my clothes are falling off me and I'm starting to get worried! DS2 is getting around 4 feeds a day and I guess if I think about it I'm skipping meals or scrimping on them which is hopefully also contributing. Just a thought re the feeding though - does anyone reckon it's a factor?

Thanks!!

Yorkiegirl Tue 22-Mar-05 22:06:43

Message withdrawn

Laura032004 Tue 22-Mar-05 22:21:56

I've was 11s before falling pg, went up to about 15s (too many cheesecakes ), and am now just under 10s. I'm finding that no matter what I eat, I can't gain weight, but I have to eat a lot to avoid losing weight. I did have some blood tests done at the docs to check it was just the bf causing it. Dreading stopping though because of it (can eat what I like atm!). DS is 11m, and having 4/5 feeds a day.

Are you worried about your weight?

Millie1 Tue 22-Mar-05 22:25:41

Thanks Yorkiegirl and Laura ... I do need to improve my diet and yes, I am slightly concerned - also because I was with the Dr last Sept and pointed out a 'lump' in my tummy which pops up and down - she thought it might be a hernia but it's maybe a bit high up and said to keep an eye. It hasn't got bigger and I can't feel it all the time but it's concerning me a bit I guess although I feel the real reason is stressful mealtimes trying to get the boys to eat and it being me who ends up not eating cos so much time spent on them. Geez ... how's that for a long sentence!! I made a Dr's apt today but can't see her for 2 wks and intend to ask for bloodwork to be done then just to rule out anything sinister. Guess I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has same/similar situation whilst b'feeding so feel a bit better now!

kama Tue 22-Mar-05 22:27:38

Message withdrawn

Demented Tue 22-Mar-05 22:43:13

I ate like a pig whilst b/feeding and was losing weight easily, it wasn't until the feeds cut down to one or two a day that I started to put on weight (then the trouble began ).

Yes I would agree it probably is the b/feeding coupled with not eating enough. Easy enough to say but try and eat regularly just don't get into bad habits like I did (eating loads of choc and crisps just cos I could) or we'll be seeing you at Mumsnet Mamas in a few months time!

aloha Tue 22-Mar-05 22:44:03

I hate you all! I am breastfeeding for the second time and am remaining fat as a pig.

milward Tue 22-Mar-05 22:55:41

Ate as normal whilst bf & lost all the preg weight - at the 6 week check 23kilos gone!! (7 from giving birth). Now preg & on my way to a big weight gain again - don't know why I gain loads in preg & then the lose weight after (hopefully as I hate clothes shopping!) - bf must have something to do with it - plus I've never dieted so am used to just going with what happens. If you're losing too much weight try to have some snacks in the day - some breakfast cerael, toast - something nourishing.

aloha Tue 22-Mar-05 22:56:39

Oh, stop it!

milward Tue 22-Mar-05 22:58:39

aloha - I'm sitting here - big & fat. Looked at my trousers today - can't believe I used to fit them. It's not just preg showing - just a little - but some how lots of flab that has appeared.

aloha Tue 22-Mar-05 23:01:23

I'm also of the Liz Hurley and Catherine Zeta Jones persuasion when pg....only I don't have the personal trainers etc afterwards! Nor does breastfeeding help me lose an ounce and I'm INSANELY jealous of those of you who just drop it all. It's not FAIR! (she says, stamping her feet and wailing)

milward Tue 22-Mar-05 23:05:57

I like how you're put it - will remember & use this one - it makes me laugh as the only time I can be compared to Liz & Catherine is when I'm elephant size!!! My trainers were my dds & school holidays last time - didn't sit down for months. Some mums don't lose weight when bf - I suppose it's a similiar feeling I have when I see mums just buying their usual size in preg clothes (who does this??)

Ameriscot2005 Tue 22-Mar-05 23:06:38

I don't put on weight while pregnant - obviously not laying down any fat stores for BF. Consequently, I eat a lot to cope with the demands of BF, and unfortunately rather too much...

Having BF for about 140 months of my life, I've probably put on 0.2lbs for each of those months .

Millie1 Wed 23-Mar-05 09:44:27

Feel better now thanks ... Aloha, don't despair I didn't start to lose any until DS was 10 mths old and you've just got a little one! Demented ... how does 2 Creme Eggs a day sound for sensible eating?!!! Oh what am I going to do when Easter is over and the creme eggs have all gone .

beansprout Wed 23-Mar-05 09:46:14

Aloha - I'm still 5kg above my pre preg weight and I have been b/f for 5 months!! Argh!!!

sweetkitty Wed 23-Mar-05 16:20:08

Going to make you sicker was 10 stone pre preg went up to 12 stone just before DD was born now am 9 stone after 8 months of breastfeeding.

Don't think it's the breastfeeding but the fact I am no longer at work, I worked in the food industry and part of the job was taste testing especially the cakes and biscuits, I ate far more then than I do now I think I are cos I was bored at work munching all day in front of the pc. Now I only have time to eat when I am hungry although I do eat well apart from the Creme Egg addiction.

Need to start with the sit ups though for the summer belly still far too flabby.

chipmonkey Wed 23-Mar-05 17:07:51

Millie1 it probably is the b/f but other causes of weight loss can be diabetes/ thyroid probs. I would check with your GP anywasy just in case bf is masking another problem.

kama Wed 23-Mar-05 17:08:51

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now